General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User summat
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:00:30
Print Post

FTTC install failure (twice!)

[link to this post]

Just after the beginning of April my exchange was enabled for FTTC, which I ordered and upgrade to from my current ISP (Entanet) via my reseller. All seemed fine, and got an install date of the 16th of April.

When the 16th came around, I got a call from the engineer saying he'd be with me in 20 minutes to install the FTTC modem at my house. However 30 minutes later I got a call from him explaining that my line was not where all his documentation said it was, and that he'd not be able to do the install as he couldnt find it, that he'd investigate more, and then update the call to state what needed doing and that I should call my ISP to get them to rearrange the install for a later date.

I spent the next week (up until yesterday in fact) chasing Entanet up (who couldn't have been more helpful, and were probably quite tired of me) as BT seemed incapable of giving them another date. Then came this morning when I got a call from Entanet saying they were surprised to see an email that came in late yesterday stating BT would be on site this morning for a second visit - which was effectively zero notice from BT given it was sent to Entanet after offce hours yesterday.

Thankfully someone happened to be in so we were all systems go, or so I thought. I got a call around an hour later from home saying the BT engineer had once again been unable to upgrade my line as the documentation said my line was somewhere it wasn't (echoes of first visit..). I'll admit I wasn't shocked. But this engineer bothered to investigate more, and seems that my line is documented as going to cabinet 3 here, but apparently it goes to cabinet 5 (which has no associated FTTC cabs at this time according to the engineer) so once again, nothing he could do and we'd require the call to be put through the booking process again.

He said he would put a note on it to explain exactly what's wrong and why he couldn't finish it, he also said that it should have been put through the BT sales process after the first visit (instead of just sending him out with the same worksheet) to be planned again.

Has anyone else been in this position? I'm worried this is going to take quite some time to get BT to do something - I'm assuming we'll need at least a couple of visits to get this sorted, one to move our line to the correct cab, and the second to actually provision the FTTC.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:32:12
Print Post

Re: FTTC install failure (twice!)

[re: summat] [link to this post]

Postcode?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User summat
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:49:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

DY12 2PQ

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:53:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by summat:
..., one to move our line to the correct cab, ...

Er, isn't that just a teensy bit over-optimistic?

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:56:00
Print Post

Both cabinets are supposed to be done in Phase 7b, according to the December data. However there is a newer April 2012 version that isn't out in the open yet. Cab 5 might have been delayed frown. I'll see if I can find out anything.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User summat
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 21:57:54
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Ok so maybe I should have phrased it "two more 'jobs' with an undetermined number of 'visits' per job".

Friend had 3 lines installed over the last 2 weeks at his office, by a total of 9 different engineer visits. Two different contractors, and I think currently two of the three work...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:02:52
Print Post

smile
He means the chnaces of getting your connection moved to another cabinet are extremely low. Unless you want to fork out a few thousand quid.

Standard User summat
(member) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:05:58
Print Post

Yeah I already had a check of the December data.
I bet even if 5 was enabled they couldn't have hooked me up as I'm not where I'm supposed to be.
Many thanks if you can get any more info. Why can things never be simple! frown
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:06:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He means the chances of getting your connection moved to another cabinet are extremely low. Unless you want to fork out a few thousand quid.

Yep, that's what I meant!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 25-Apr-12 22:07:48
Print Post

Your postcode indeed served by two cabs.

Cab 5 serves 37% of properties and cab 3 serves the other 63% of properties.

Cab 5 actually went live on the 2nd April 2012, so if you are actually on this cab you should be able to get it.

I suspect that their records show you are on cab 5, hence why you were able to place an order, but when it came down to installation they found their records are wrong, and you are served by cab 3 instead, which is not yet enabled so you can't get FTTC yet from this cab.

Hope this helps...

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to