General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andylong42
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 12:16:06
Print Post

New speeds upgrade question

[link to this post]

I currently get approx 23/6mb on Infinity. When I check my number on the BT checker, it is suggesting I should get 32/6. If I upgraded to Infinity 2 (or whatever they have called it), will this increase my current speeds or are the speeds only increased for the people getting close to 40Mb in the past? Or should I be getting 32Mb on my current package and I in fact need to investigate an issue?

I would rather not sign up for a further 18months if I can help it!

Many thanks

Andy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 12:18:31
Print Post

Re: New speeds upgrade question

[re: andylong42] [link to this post]

The profile 17a has been running for some time, so my understanding is that you will only really go faster if already synced at the maximum speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:13:32
Print Post

No point as MrSaffron says. Only people who are getting the full 40Mb at present should think about upgrading, as if your line cannot SYNC at 40Mb already it can't go any higher by upgrading to 80, as it's already at the max it can sustain...

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:43:21
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Would he get any more from the upload?

BTInternet
(isp) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:18:17
Print Post

[re: stephen79] [link to this post]

Same applies... if you are not SYNCing at 40Mb down, 10Mb up at present, you can't get any more by going to the 80/20 service.

James

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User andylong42
(learned) Mon 30-Apr-12 15:30:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have done a test on the speedtester.bt.com site and it is showing my profile to be 23.7Mbps. Is there anything I can do to up this as the online estimate is nearly 10Mbps higher?
(isp) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:08:32
Print Post

The online checker is just an estimate. Some people are able to get more, and some less, but it all depends on your individual line I am afraid.

BT won't do much or treat it as a "fault", so it's a difficult one.

Do you have problems with the service dropping out or is it stable?

James

Standard User andylong42
(learned) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:10:26
Print Post

It is fairly stable. I am just curious how plusnet, who use the same checker apparently, will guarantee the speed will be within 1Mb of the estimate - I am currently 9Mb below it!
(isp) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:15:07
Print Post

By saying they "guarantee it" does not mean they can offer it. 99% of the time a line will achieve more than the checker estimate but not in your case.

So by saying they will guarantee it will just mean you have a get out clause if you don't get within 1Mb of the estimate.

No ISP you move to can improve what your line can SYNC at on FTTC, they are all the same physical connection to the cabinet, so it's not an ISP problem as such.

HTH

James

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Apr-12 16:23:05
Print Post

Is there any possibility there is a banded profile at 25Mbps sync James, and that somehow he has been put on it? I don't know what the bands are, but 23.7Mbps IP Profile looks suspiciously like a 25Mbps sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to