General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:03:36
Print Post

Splitting the signal from the Openreach modem

[link to this post]

If I plug an ethernet splitter like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-CAT-5-6-LAN-Ethernet-... into the openreach modem will I get two good signals out? I potentially want to send one signal to a router and the other to a solwise homeplug and thereby round the distant parts of the house via the mains.

If that works can I then take the signal coming out of the mains elsewhere and put that through another router?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:06:30
Print Post

Re: Splitting the signal from the Openreach modem

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

No.

You want to take the homeplug feed FROM the router. NOT from the openreach modem.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
Still waiting for FTTC cabinet since Mar 2011- THFB PCP 5
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:08:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
No.

You want to take the homeplug feed FROM the router. NOT from the openreach modem.

Why, what happens if I do it the way I suggested? (I mean thanks for your input but can you explain why)

Edited by Alexir (Thu 26-Apr-12 17:10:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:26:27
Print Post

To do what you want requires the OR modem to be a modem/router, and to feed the Homeplug off LAN2. Period.

OK, most of us know it is one, with the routing disabled. I think you have been in on a discussion of that?

You can either do as jchamier says, or feed your router from LAN1 and the Homeplug from the router.

I have a feeling jchamier's way would only allow the single takeoff to the router from the mains, whereas my way would allow multiple takeoff points. I could be wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 26-Apr-12 17:27:15)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 26-Apr-12 17:43:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

From the product discription......

6.This T splitter is an intelligent device, it can not be used as HUB / Switch / Router.

Remark:
1.This splitter does not replace a hub.

2.This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line, but it doesn't support both computer to connect onto the internet simultaneously.

so from the looks of that you COULD connect 2 pc's,ect with it but could only use ONE at a time!

As usual RobertosS is correct and i have my own system set up like he says..... FTTC modem to router, from router port 1 to sky, router port 2 to homeplug. Two other homeplugs both upstairs one has a ps3 and a pc connected to it (the plug has 3 ports) and a single in the kids room powering her pc.

setup was a little fiddlely but since then have had no problems
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 18:07:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alexir:
Why, what happens if I do it the way I suggested? (I mean thanks for your input but can you explain why)

Sure.

The OpenReach modem is only half the internet connection, to get a working internet connection you need the router as well. So putting something in between won't work, the OpenReach modem can only work with one device - your router would be that device.

But your router will have multiple Ethernet sockets and probably wireless. You can plug one ethernet into your computer, one into the homeplug, and use wireless. Then you can plug in another computer or Sky+HD box, or XBox etc, into the other home plug somewhere else in the house.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
Still waiting for FTTC cabinet since Mar 2011- THFB PCP 5
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Thu 26-Apr-12 18:27:34
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sorry when I said Why I meant why won't my idea work.

I know the sensible option would be to run ethernet from the modem to the router and then use the lan sockets of the router for various needs eg a homeplug. Trouble is the router is a bit of a distance from the modem and is powered by an extension cable. I don't want to plug the homeplug into the end of the extension as I'm told it's better to put a homeplug directly into the mains. The mains socket is back where the modem is, so I hoped to put the homeplug and modem there together and have a short ethernet between the two (with a splitter in the middle sending the signal to the router too). Make sense?

I now know the splitter I suggested has issues so that two items can't operate at the same time (which is a bit weird) so perhaps it's an academic question anyway.
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 18:47:07
Print Post

Yes it would work:
OR modem ----------Splitter port 1------common CAT 5-------Splitter port 1----Router WAN port
Homeplug------------Splitter port 2------Common CAT 5-------Splitter port 2----Router LAN port

However these adaptors are not recommended, can cause all sorts of issues.

Dave
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:01:20
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Yes it would work:
OR modem ----------Splitter port 1------common CAT 5-------Splitter port 1----Router WAN port
Homeplug------------Splitter port 2------Common CAT 5-------Splitter port 2----Router LAN port

However these adaptors are not recommended, can cause all sorts of issues.
No it wouldn't.

You can't put Ethernet signals from two sources down one cable.

What happens when one source wants to set a line to a "1" and the other wants to set it to a "0"?

Answer- neither of them work.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User balami
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:11:54
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Agree. I don't think these are the cable sharing splitters that allow 2 devices to share a cat5 cable using 2 pairs each. These look like a Y connector type arrangement and would only be useful where you have voice over cat5 and wanted to attach 2 (analogue) telephones to one port.

Amazing what is listed on eBay with less than adequate descriptions.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to