General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:34:55
Print Post

BT speedtester

[link to this post]

I've just run a BT speedtest, rubbish result as usual, but the list of items you now have to say "Yes" to before you can proceed is interesting:
Step 1:- Ensure your computer is plugged into the Broadband line to be tested.This speedtester will not work on iPads/Tablets,smartphones or other mobile devices.
Step 2:- Ensure your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet Connection (i.e. not via a wireless or powerline adapters).
Step 3:- Ensure that any wireless adaptor in your computer is switched off.
Step 4:- Close any programs that may be running on your computer.This in cludes any background programs such as anti-virus software (such as Norton McAfee, or NetProtect+) corporate VPN or Peer2Peer client.(Please ensure you re enable any anti-virus software after you have finished testing).
Step 5:-Reboot your modem/router by powering it off,waiting one minute,and then powering it up again.Wait for any lights on the modem router to stabilise before the starting the test.
Step 6:-Restart your browser.
Step 7:-Ensure that no other people or devices(eg. broadband-connecterd TV set-top box) are using the broadband line to be tested.
Step 8:-Ensure the 10 day stabilisation period has completed before reporting any suspected fault-this is how long it can take for your Broadband to train to its optimal speed.
Step 9:-For fibre customers please run the Beta test first (right-hand column below),ensuring you use the correct test for your line speed.

Please confirm that you have carried out the above steps. The speed tester may report an inaccurate result by failure to comply with the above.

Note number 8... the words "left and right hand" come to mind crazy

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:39:05
Print Post

Re: BT speedtester

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I noticed the new wording earlier this evening. Wondering if this has has anything to do with the inconsistent and inaccurate results it has been giving recently and in particular the FTTC results.

See they are also recommending that you use the Beta tester for FTTC/P connections.

Edited by nelix01 (Thu 26-Apr-12 20:40:55)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:45:50
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

It seems more to me1 as though they're giving themselves as many reasons as they can think of to blame the user for poor performance.

Most of the things on there won't make the slightest difference, let alone a result of 2Mbps on an 80/20 line that I've just had mad

1 Cynic? Moi? Naah...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User truex360
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:50:29
Print Post

there just trying to make it more difficult for end users to complain about speeds. basically buying time fore the poor network

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC (When BT Fix it_)
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-12 20:57:38
Print Post

I've had 80/20 for almost 3 months now and never had a decent test result using the vanilla tester. The Beta tester almost always gives me a result of 75Mbps.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:02:17
Print Post

Same here, I really don't see the point of the BT tester in its current form as it is totally incapable of giving sensible results; I get anything from 0 upwards on it and seems completely arbitrary. Yet this is the "official" tester.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:05:00
Print Post

Yes, the beta works OK for me, but it doesn't tell you what your IP profile is- I'm usually more interested to see what might have happened to that than in the speed.

I suppose it's the first step to blocking access to profile information frown

Bill

Edited by billford (Thu 26-Apr-12 21:05:41)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:23:43
Print Post

So in non-BT speak...

4. Please stop your anti-virus software (who needs it anyway, there aren't that many Chinese teenagers looking at hacking your ebay account. It'll be perfectly safe switching it off - we're BT, you can trust what we say).
5. Please reboot your Home Hub (as we all know how flaky they are).

They forgot 9,10 & 11...

9. Please power down the cheap Chinese modem and let it cool down for a few hours.
10. Please do a beta test to get your download speed (because the normal one is rubbish with FTTC).
11. Please do a normal test to get your upload speed (because the beta test is rubbish with FTTC uploads and often returns a figure around 40% of your actual speed).

Oh and 12...

12. Please forgot about speedtesters, they're all rubbish anyway. Just do a multi-thread download (using a download manager program) if you really want to know your download speed.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:28:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Yes, the beta works OK for me,

Clearly the beta test isn't subject to whatever throttling and shaping BT are imposing at the moment (as it's giving a true download result of 74Mbps when all the other speedtesters get around 4-8Mbps).

In reply to a post by billford:
but it doesn't tell you what your IP profile is- I'm usually more interested to see what might have happened to that than in the speed.

I'm guessing it's just a regular java based speedtest (but one which bypasses BT throttling) and they haven't yet bothered to link it to the number database to give the profile figure (hoping they'll add it if it ever goes beyond beta - which would be gamma; no?).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User balami
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-12 21:33:51
Print Post

I've not had any speed issues so far but have unlocked my spare modem today so I can keep an eye on the sync rates.

My line is due to go 80/20 on the 9th, but looking at the stats it will be more like 54/17 and probably start dropping as the cabinet starts to fill up.

Lets hope I never have to use the BT Speedtester. A pilots pre-flight checklist is probably less traumatic!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to