General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ncdlloyd
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 17:22:48
Print Post

FTTC without Openreach Modem?

[link to this post]

Is anyone using a Draytek 2850 (or other VDSL router) on FTTC without the Openreach modem? We bought one recently for a FTTC migration and the Openreach engineer seemed happy enough to leave us with just the Draytek as it was syncing. A day and a half with no Internet and another Openreach engineer said we had to have the Openreach modem and that the service wouldn't work without it. We're now using the 2850's Ethernet PPPoE port instead, which negates the point of the more expensive router.

Any other experiences here?

Thanks

Nick
Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:11:59
Print Post

Re: FTTC without Openreach Modem?

[re: ncdlloyd] [link to this post]

It should work, but as you were having problems they would request you use their modem.

The general idea is you CAN use your own hardware, but only if you then accept any problems are entirely your own responsibility.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:15:12
Print Post

Any faults would need to be looked at from the respect of the Openreach modem, so at least having one in the house for testing is required.

People have used other modems, but not up to speed on the various settings there

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 29-Apr-12 18:49:03
Print Post

Was the Draytek connecting to your ISP/internet before he left, or just sync'ing to the exchange?

If it was just to the exchange it looks as though all you are missing is the relevant login details. (Which I don't know but will be known by some around here).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User ncdlloyd
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 19:32:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It was just syncing. The ISP initially said it hadn't been passed to the BT RADIUS servers and once it was it would connect. This did eventually happen, but then the ISP said a fault was showing on the line so BT were called back out.

I think the lesson is to set it up over Ethernet first with the Openreach modem and then try it without. I haven't been able to try it without yet, but next time I'm back with the customer I'll give it a go.

Nick
Standard User dieselglider
(experienced) Sun 29-Apr-12 19:39:12
Print Post

It should be configurable to work on FTTC. The BT Care Community forum has a big thread on the 2750n regarding the same issue.

Also, the Draytek site has a guide on entering the settings for the 2750. Apparently the figure 101 for a tag setting is quite important.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2750_s...

You could always email Draytek support for help too, they're supposed to be pretty helpful.

BTInfinity

Edited by dieselglider (Sun 29-Apr-12 19:41:18)

Standard User ncdlloyd
(newbie) Sun 29-Apr-12 19:54:37
Print Post

[re: dieselglider] [link to this post]

Thanks dieselglider, that link is useful. We're a Draytek partner, so I'll be in touch with them in the week.

Nick
Standard User andew
(member) Sun 29-Apr-12 22:25:35
Print Post

I've managed to get my 2850 online using ipv4 with the internal modem, all ipv4 function work 100% as expected but if I enable ipv6 for this connection, the router unfortunately reboots itself after 15...20 seconds after being assigned the ipv6 address.

If I use the WAN2 connection to do pppoe using the openreach modem, then both ipv4 and ipv6 work perfectly.

I do have a support call logged with uk draytek support, who have asked for access to the router (will be providing them with details tomorrow)

Andrew
Standard User jont7056
(newbie) Tue 01-May-12 11:53:17
Print Post

[re: andew] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

I too have a 2850n, but until recently had failed to get it to connect directly to VDSL.

So I logged a call with Draytek, and this morning received their latest beta firmware for the router - v2850_362_RC3_Annex_A which seems to have done the trick - I am now conencted directly to VDSL, rather than via my ECI modem. In order to connect I have used vLAN tag 101 (widely reported as necessary elsewhere) and set WAN1 VDSL mode to VDSL only.

It is also widely discussed that BT OpenReach insist upon the use of their supplied modem as this is the customer interface. This is my long term intention, but I do want a troubleshooting tool i.e. the Draytek, without having to hack the BT OR modem, and the Draytek provides all the data I would like e.g. data rates, SNR etc., via the new VDSL status display.

Early days, and it is beta firmware, but for me its a step forward.
Standard User andew
(member) Tue 01-May-12 12:41:29
Print Post

[re: jont7056] [link to this post]

Hi

Does you know if ipv6 works on this firmware?

Andrew
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to