General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 01-May-12 22:48:24
Print Post

Re: which fttc router.

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
The Openreach modem is a router anyway.

Only if you unlock it and obviously not wireless.
If it's for wireless then wan throughput isn't an issue.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-May-12 22:58:21
Print Post

[re: saboo1690] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by saboo1690:
I have a network running with Ethernet plugs so i need a router.......
I assume you mean Homeplug type stuff, over the mains? What speed rating are they?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(learned) Wed 02-May-12 00:21:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The Openreach modem is a router anyway.

Only if you unlock it and obviously not wireless.
If it's for wireless then wan throughput isn't an issue.

Yes it is. The Openreach modem maxes out at about 60mbps in router mode, your average "N300" wireless will do at least double that, four times under certain conditions.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 02-May-12 07:13:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by saboo1690:
I have a network running with Ethernet plugs so i need a router.......
I assume you mean Homeplug type stuff, over the mains? What speed rating are they?

Im running a network with 500mbps plugs. That's why i was looking a gigabit router. i Do alot of streaming of hd movies over the network.....
Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 02-May-12 07:14:33
Print Post

Ok, as long as you realise you are comparing a combined router and modem with a router.
[/quote

yes i do realise this.........[smile]
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-May-12 08:50:29
Print Post

That's fine smile.

Is your existing router OK with 80/20 in terms of internet downstream performance? If so, might not your safest option, and possibly the best for your purpose, be a gig switch connected into that?

Very cheap to try.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 02-May-12 14:11:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's fine smile.

Is your existing router OK with 80/20 in terms of internet downstream performance? If so, might not your safest option, and possibly the best for your purpose, be a gig switch connected into that?

Very cheap to try.

Im abit of a novice at this so you'll have to excuse me....lol
this is my setup......
Open reach modem down stairs with a cat5 cable running up stairs to the router which is a netgear wndr1000. Which is a 100mbps router. running from this i have 4 500mbps Ethernet plugs which have various hardware plugged in (xbox media player sky box etc ).
I was looking a gigabit router because i thought it would run Abit better.
Is this the case or am i wasting my money.......smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-May-12 15:47:32
Print Post

Right - I don't intend to advise you at this stage, as I don't really feel in a position to, but I can explain a bit about the hardware. That might help you.

What we lazily call a router can contain up to four different things, which are also available as separate items. The one-box products are just that, convenient for some people, like most domestic setups, but not necessarily having the same level of "excellence" in each component.

The four items are a modem, linking into a router, then hanging off the router is an ethernet switch and possibly a Wireless Access Point.

Think of your computer. Processor, RAM, disc, ethernet port, wireless point, amongst other things. The ideal configuration for one person can be different from another's. I look for small disc, medium processor, biggest RAM I can get, and wireless "n", as the best combination for my requirements within my budget.

Your router has three of the four. No modem. Your maximum input from the net (at the moment) is 80Mbps, which should get out of the Openreach modem into any router and out the other side into the built-in switch with no trouble. I believe that switch should also cope with sending that out of any one of its four ports. More techie people may contradict me there, as my belief could be wrong. But not dramatically so.

Your main reason for wanting a gig switch is for internal traffic on your LAN. By getting a gig switch, they look to be cheap, and connecting that to one of the Netgear ports, then everything else to the gig switch, job done! Cheap and easy if it proves satisfactory, and only £20'ish gone if you can't resell it. (At that price I don't think there would be much resale market, but I don't know).

As I said, I might get shot down on this, but if I do, so be it smile. Or maybe people will agree that it fits your particular needs. I'm just throwing it in as what I woudl be inclined to do. A dedicated switch getting on with running the LAN.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Wed 02-May-12 17:07:47
Print Post

Just to be absolutely certain on this, if you plug a gigabit switch into a 100Mb port on a router (or, more correctly, the Ethernet switch part of the router wink), is it correct that the router will not inhibit the throughput between two gigabit-capable devices connected to the switch?

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 02-May-12 17:16:19
Print Post

If both devices are connected to the Gb switch, the traffic won't even get as far as the router, it will stay local with the switch.
e.g. Device 1 <-> Switch <-> Device 2

Only traffic that has a destination to somewhere that isn't connected to the switch will need to traverse the 100Mb link to the router.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to