General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:20:50
Print Post

Re: which fttc router.

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

4 consistent results including from different servers and you blame the IP address? Really clutching at straws now aren't you.

Like I said, it was evident the device was being maxed out from the monitoring of latency during the test.

If IP address makes such a big difference, how is it the same connection gets dozens of results within ~1mbps of each other on dozens of different IP addresses, yet router mode will repeatedly and consistently cut off 20mbps each and every time, again with numerous different IPs, the exact same result?

Please come up with any logical explanation that every single IP address I obtain in router mode is consistently 20mbps slower than every single IP address I obtain in bridge mode. Do you seriously think terminating the PPPoE session on a different client can give a "slower" IP address?

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Wed 02-May-12 23:24:25)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 23:25:08
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

The consistency is in the distance from the server as I said. How do you account for the distance from Lancaster changing?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:28:08
Print Post

Speedtest guesses your location based on what previous customers with that IP have said their location is along with various IP location databases which are also best-guess estimates.

Each BRAS has a pool of IP addresses it can randomly allocate from and I know people from Aberdeen served off the same BRAS as Edinburgh and therefore get IPs pulled from the same pool. IP based location guessing has never been precise.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Wed 02-May-12 23:29:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 23:30:45
Print Post

But you claimed earlier that the IP address was unchanged when switching between bridge and route?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:32:19
Print Post

No I didn't. Please quote where you think I made such a claim.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 23:37:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
No I didn't. Please quote where you think I made such a claim.
In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
The line wasn't resynced when switching between the two modes.
Yet the distance changed.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:40:15
Print Post

The IP address is associated with the PPPoE session not your line sync. The two are independent of each other.

A resync of your line does not by itself change your IP address.

A PPPoE reconnect will almost certainly change your IP address but does not depend on a line resync.

Reconnecting PPPoE is not the same as resynching the line itself.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Wed 02-May-12 23:41:13)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 23:41:31
Print Post

As I said, the difference you are seeing is due to the IP address, not the mode.

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:42:23
Print Post

Please suggest why one IP address would be slower than another and why slow IP addresses only ever come up in router mode.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 23:46:08
Print Post

Because the routing has changed, as shown by the distance and the ping?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to