General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:49:03
Print Post

Re: which fttc router.

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That does not explain
1) Why the device to respond slowly to local requests that do not involve it's external IP
2) Why "slower routed" IP with higher ping would have a faster speed
3) Why the more distant IP would have faster speed
4) Why it only affects router mode and not bridge mode.
5) Why it could be repeated several days later with two IPs with the same "distance and ping":

http://speedtest.net/result/1904720690.png (bridge)
http://speedtest.net/result/1904715176.png (route)

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Wed 02-May-12 23:54:35)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-May-12 23:54:28
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Maybe your modem is broken? Anyway, I don't agree with your conclusion about the difference between bridge and route. I find the OR modem quite adequate as a router and I'm not inclined to spend a few hundred on an alternative.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Wed 02-May-12 23:59:30
Print Post

That would be a sensible and reasonable suspicion but so far you've been uncooperative in helping me confirm.

I've asked you several times to let me know what settings you use and what speed you get so we can tell if they differ because I have a faulty modem or simply tested differently from you.

Incidentally I've never suggested you spend several hundred pounds on an alternative. There are routers available for less than £10 can handle the full 80/20 just fine, my Openreach modem can't.

If you're right and mine's faulty, then please post your results and help me confirm it.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Wed 02-May-12 23:59:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 00:02:43
Print Post

I used the settings discussed in this thread http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4109217-hua...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 00:05:51
Print Post

And what speed do you get on it using those settings?

(I presume, since you haven't mentioned otherwise, that you left QoS on as well, and the firewall off?)

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Thu 03-May-12 00:06:05)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 00:07:21
Print Post

No, I turned QOS off, and disabled TR069. I posted a speedtest here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4112994-re-inf...

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 00:10:41
Print Post

Which is impossible on the 80/20 FTTC service, so either you're talking about a different, non-FTTC modem or you've just been trolling this whole time.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 00:16:33
Print Post

I think its because YMMV. You seem convinced by your own theory. Whatever...

Standard User qasdfdsaq
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 00:20:20
Print Post

Course, your counter-arguement is that my IP address is slower and an impossible speedtest result. At least my theory remains consistent, unlike the 40 wild ideas you've plucked out of the air so far today...

Until someone sensible proves otherwise, I certainly won't be believing anything else you say.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-May-12 00:28:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
Until someone sensible proves otherwise, I certainly won't be believing anything else you say.
At least we agree that "Should be easy for anyone who has a hacked modem to do a speedtest.".

If only there was someone sensible with a hacked modem...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to