General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User davestubbs
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 14:49:43
Print Post

Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[link to this post]

Just recently (last week in fact) regraded my account from the 10/40 to 20/80 product and before the upgrade I was getting around 8mbps up and 38mbps down, after the upgrade I'm getting 16mbps up but only just reaching 40mbps down (occassionally).

But when I put in my phone line details on BT's site they say I should get 20mbps up and 56mbps down (within 1 or 2 mbps).

If there is an increase in the upload speed should I not see an increase in the donwload speed as well, and it's nowhere near the BT predicted value so what are the things I should do to try and resolve this (if it can be of course). I'm happy with the upload speed now (VPN to the office is pretty slick) just would like to see the full benefit of the extra cost.

I've unlocked the BT router so I'm going to capture all the stats from there shortly (once I can work out how that is supposed to work), I'm not seeing anything obvious from the commands I've used so far.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already, I have noted users of the 20/80 product getting variable results so is this just a case of my cabinet is one of the less happy ones?

Appreciate any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-May-12 14:54:42
Print Post

Re: Upload Speeds Doubled, Downloads didn't ? FTTC

[re: davestubbs] [link to this post]

The upstream can behave differently to the downstream, they use different frequencies, so your situation is not impossible.

Connection stats from the modem would help in understanding of course.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-May-12 15:47:30
Print Post

In the command prompt window in Windows:-

telnet 192.168.1.1
(login as per the instructions for unlocking)
sh
xdslcmd info --stats

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-May-12 15:47:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User truex360
(learned) Thu 03-May-12 18:10:32
Print Post

got the same issue and couple of others have to but we are on a different ISP there still trying to figure it out

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC (When BT Fix it_)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 21:57:16
Print Post

I had exactly the same problem, a reboot of the modem sorted it out though smile
Standard User truex360
(learned) Thu 03-May-12 22:04:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

reboot didnt work for me

Aquiss 80/20 FTTC (When BT Fix it_)
Standard User davestubbs
(regular) Thu 03-May-12 23:33:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Tried rebooting several times, get exactly the same result.

Been collecting stats now for the last 8 hours. Here's what I have, all staying pretty conststent....

Attainable rate ~74000 down, 30000 up
Sync speed ~74000 down, 20000 up.
SNR Margin 6 down, 15 Up
CRC errors - None
FEC errors - 3 over the 8 hour sample
HEC errors - None
Interleaving depth - I think this is saying 1 constantly

Not sure what I should be looking for, but nothing strikes me as odd.

I'm on Web Tapestry BTW
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-May-12 23:38:42
Print Post

Interesting like myself your with a different internet supplier than BT . From,what I have read modem reboots seem to work for anyone on BT .
Standard User davestubbs
(regular) Fri 04-May-12 11:28:09
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Another 12 hours of stats and all have stayed the same.

Is there anything to be learned from those numbers that would give me reason to think something isn't working somewhere upstream, for example if the ISP was throttling beyond the exchange?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-May-12 16:45:44
Print Post

Stats seem to indicate you're connected at nearly full speed (74Mbps as opposed to 80Mbps), so that doesn't appear to be the issue (unless your connection keeps dropping and reconnecting at a much lower speed).

You haven't mentioned your IP profile (get this from doing a BT speedtest).

Have you tried a multi-thread download (grab the 1GB test file from the TBB site but download it using a download manager - Free Download Manager will let you split into several parts simultaneous download - IIRC the TBB server allows the 1GB file to be split into 12 threads/parts for downloading).

As a rough indication, if I download the 1GB test file, from TBB, using Internet Explorer (i.e. a single thread download) my 80Mbps connection manages a little over 10Mbps.
If I download the same file, from the same server, but using a download manager (splitting the file into 12 parts) it maxes out my 80Mbps connection.

This, to me, indicates either BT is throttling (can't be congested as pings are fine, and pings are badly affected by congested ISP networks but not by throttled networks) or the TBB server is only able to upload each thread at around 10Mbps (which I highly doubt).

This will check to see if it's your overall connection/download speed which is poor, or whether you're somehow being limited on the download rate of each thread (some may call this throttling).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps

Edited by adebov (Fri 04-May-12 16:51:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to