General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-May-12 12:39:23
Print Post

FTTC over a copper overlay??

[link to this post]

Is it possible?

I am in a new build estate, at the outskirts of an older part of the village.
When we finally got ADSL it had to be delivered over a copper overlay, as we had TPON for voice calls when the eatate was built.

I was looking through the threads and found a link to some other site where you could check progress (of course cannot find now!) and it listed a % of cabinets not being "do-able" for FTTC as they were directly connected to the exchange - or similar.

Sounds alot like might be my area, with the copper overlay / TPON combo, and thoughts?

Postcode FY5 4FN
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-12 14:40:03
Print Post

Re: FTTC over a copper overlay??

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Technically there is no problem with running VDSL over copper overlay from what I can see... As long as your copper overlay goes by an installed cabinet you should be able to get a FTTC enabled product from BT. And you won't know if that's true until your area is upgraded.

Looking at your postcode on samknows it indicates you are on the Cleveleys exchange which is due to be enabled for fibre September 2012. So keep an eye out for any green box's springing up in your area. Normally they appear near an existing BT boxes, so if you've got one near by you may be in luck.

Just keep an eye on the BT Infinity product checker. And put your number in when September/October comes to see if you can get something.

(sensei) Tue 08-May-12 15:29:06
Print Post

13% of lines at that postcode are direct to the exchange. The rest are on cabinet 69, but in the December data that wasn't scheduled for anything frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-12 17:03:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's sad that he/she has got fibre to their premises, but is unable to use it for their broadband. Just what you come to expect living in this craphole of a country.

(staff) Tue 08-May-12 17:46:09
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

Urm TPON was NEVER fibre to the premises. It was fibre to a cabinet with the sole purpose of providing a telephone service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-May-12 18:44:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok MrSaff.. I didn't know that, but if thats true as you say it should be easier to bring FTTC to these customers? Infact they should still be in a better position than the rest of us to switch over.. Yet that appears not to be the case.

(committed) Tue 08-May-12 18:51:56
Print Post

I asked this question a while back and got no replies.
In my area I can say with 100% confidence that all PCP cabs that were TPON but now copper overlay have been missed on the current roll out, even to the extent that the new fibre cables would have to go directly passed these ex-TPON boxes.
Sad but true, I dont know if there is any technical problem or what the problem is, there is no reason in terms of what these cabs serve to ignore them, normal modern housing estates with probably many people wanting faster speeds.
  Print Thread

Jump to