General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User andyclure
(newbie) Tue 08-May-12 15:50:34
Print Post

FTTC Mossley, exchange enabled but not my cab.

[link to this post]

HI everyone, just a quick post to enquire about FTTC in my town of Mossley. According to the BT openreach website my exchange has bene accepting orders for ages now 9sure it's almost 12 months), but there's nothing down for my cabinet.

It seems daft to me that BT would go to the trouble of enabling an Exchange, but only enable 3 or 4 green cabinets. It's a fairly small town so why not just get them all done? Not sure if this makes a difference but I live in a new house which had a new green cabinet installed, I would have expected this would mean any extra cabling would be easier (surely the trunking would have gone in at the time the new cabinet was installed).

Anyway, I can't get any information from anyone, I've contacted my council about accessing funding from BDUK but my councillor has ignored me so far. So frustrating. Any information people can give me would be great.
Postcode is OL5 9GG.

thanks all
AC
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 08-May-12 16:53:06
Print Post

Re: FTTC Mossley, exchange enabled but not my cab.

[re: andyclure] [link to this post]

So what does the BT checker say when you put in your telephone number?

If the house and PCP post date the FTTC rollout they certainly arent guaranteed to come back and enable the CAB.

Remember that initially the CAB would only serve a small number of properties.

The area may also be fed from a different exchange to the one you are on for voice and it may not be simple to run the fibre to a single new CAB.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User andyclure
(newbie) Tue 08-May-12 17:31:19
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

If you mean the standard checker on the BT infinity website then it won't check my line as my line rental is with Sky. But when I enter my postcode it just says standard BT broadband is available. Nothing about when FTTC will be rolled out.

Not sure I follow about the cab only serving a small number of properties intially. Why woudl it only serve a couple fo properites first?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Tue 08-May-12 17:35:25
Print Post

Checking your postcode on the December spreadsheet it comes back with these results.

MRMSL MOSSLEY OL59GG {MRMSL}{P15} 0 97%

MRMSL MOSSLEY OL59GG {MRMSL}{P2} 0 2% 3.26 6b Yes FTTC

From the above information the estate is on a brand new cab which is 15 and not planned for FTTC, their are only 15 cabs on the Mossley exchange.

It has been seen that alot of new build estates are not enabled in the first round of cabinet deployment by Openreach likely not finished when the survey was in the area, some new build estates have had their cabinets appear at a later date in the rollout.

Cabinet 15 could be in the April spreadsheet, however only isps have that, James from asdl24 maybe able to provide information from the April spreadsheet.

My Broadband Speed Test
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Wed 09-May-12 08:41:04
Print Post

Hi Andy,

We're an ISP based in Saddleworth (ADSL24) so know quite a bit about FTTC in and around your area in particular - we've done campaigns in Mossley over the past year.

Unfortunately BT Openreach are not upgrading the cabinet which serves your estate, most likely for commercial reasons -i.e. its not going to produce a return on the investment costs incurred to install FTTC to that cab. It's a shame but that's their decision I'm afraid.

As others mention your cabinet is a small cab that was installed to serve your estate, so there are not that many properties connected to it compared to normal size cabs around Mossley. This will have caused Openreach to miss it out from the roll-out plan.

Your cabinet is the one you can see on Spring Mill Drive - http://g.co/maps/acyph

Sorry I couldn't help any more on the matter. Hopefully there will be a solution in the future where they can install even smaller cabs, or equipment in the existing cab that just provides a small amount of FTTC ports for those who want it.

Thanks

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User andyclure
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 10:22:07
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Hi James, thanks very much for the info. Very useful, if frustrating.. It just seems bizarre that broadband is now considered by many people to be a utility like electricity, gas & water, yet something so important is left down to BT to decide purely on commercial decisions! Doesn't change my long held view of BT I'm afraid..

I have contacted Tamesde council to see if there are any plans for accessing the BDUK funding, but not sure if our situation would even be covered by this (I expect not).

So, looks like I'm limited as to what I can do, move house or stick with my broadband speed which is OK for surfing but pretty much useless for all the content which is now starting to be made available.

Bummer!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Jun-12 21:07:30
Print Post

James, do you know if Openreach plan to install any smaller huawei 128 cabinets around Mossley to fill the gaps?
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Thu 14-Jun-12 13:01:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Nothing as of yet. Same as the few in Saddleworth that are not yet planned.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Jun-12 21:13:34
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

will blackburn west lothian eh477ht get any fttc cabs this year
  Print Thread

Jump to