General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-May-12 13:05:55
Print Post

Fibre going to be delayed

[link to this post]

My town is due to have FTTC by the end of June - little over 7 weeks away - yet out of the 34 cabs attached to the exchange I have found ~22 of them but there is not a single sign of life.

I'm guessing this means the rollout is slipping, but can it be estimated by how much?
How long from cabs going in to the service going live?

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
5.66Mb/s - 0.75Mb/s - 42ms
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1526709410.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 13:16:30
Print Post

Re: Fibre going to be delayed

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

If they try hard and permissions are all in place, some cabs could still meet the June deadline.

How long varies so much, and no-one has managed to do a survey from first markings to first order live on a cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Moradin
(member) Wed 09-May-12 13:17:12
Print Post

I estimated 3 months ago,, that overall, they had slipped by about 3-4 months. (and posted such on here)

At the end of March they moved most of the dates to the end of June.

looking at my area, i highly doubt they will even hit that deadline.. i'm expecting them to move the June date to September or October.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Wed 09-May-12 13:32:37
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

Our cabinets started appearing in January/February with a RFS date of March, which has now slipped to June, which may slip again.

Most cabinets are now in, with a few left to do, they are now going around digging them up again to connect the power.

Hopefully we're getting close now.

Standard User Justo
(member) Wed 09-May-12 13:53:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How long varies so much, and no-one has managed to do a survey from first markings to first order live on a cabinet

Mine was eight months virtually to the day. The cabinet went in a week after being marked, with fibre being ran over the two weeks after that. The rest of the time was waiting for power to be ran across the road and then two more weeks commissioning.

It can be any length of time is the upshot - but four things need to happen in any order;

Exchange enabled
Cabinet in place
Fibre between the two
Power to the cabinet

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 09-May-12 14:22:20
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

You missed out Tie Pairs between the PCP and the FTTC CAB - this may involve digging across roads (as may power supply).

My CAB appeared on 12th April and the power was run about a week later.

Still lots of road works going on in the rest of the town but end of June would be possible - depends if the fibre is laid across most of the area.

We wait and see!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User simon194
(regular) Wed 09-May-12 19:28:17
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Also add switch the equipment in the cabinet on. smile

The cabinet I'm connected to has been ready for 3 weeks now (power and everything else) but it's still not been switched on.
Standard User stephen79
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-May-12 21:55:22
Print Post

Had some road markings by mine a few weeks back but haven't seen any activity recently. June date here too.

BTInternet
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-May-12 22:38:25
Print Post

[re: stephen79] [link to this post]

Got the DSLAM markings near several different cabs served by the exchange that im on, but apart from the markings there is nothing or very little to suggest that they have even started thinking about doing the job the only thing on my local councils street works site are a few instances of "Install 100m of 1 way poly duct in Footway"
this being the longest length so far , and of unblocking ducts, but nothing else , the date scheduled is June12, was Dec12

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Wed 09-May-12 23:05:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Hi Mr Saffron,

My cabinet was marked out on the pavement 5th September 2011, managed to place order 4th May 2012.

When it seemed the BT roadworks had ceased in my area I was checking the BT Wholesale checker daily. Im due to be installed a week today, but funny enough the Super Fast When Where is not yet showing the exchange as live. Maybe they dont have 10 cabinets ready, but at least I could place my order!

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Ripley (Wed 09-May-12 23:07:47)

Print Thread

Jump to