General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Rebeldiamond
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 17:03:29
Print Post

Sam Knows white box

[link to this post]

I have the FTTC modem and HH3 running 80/20 at max speed and have been sent a white box from SamKnows, i am confused as to how it's meant to be connected though.
Is it Modem > Whitebox > HH3?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 17:10:25
Print Post

Re: Sam Knows white box

[re: Rebeldiamond] [link to this post]

Modem ---- HH3 ---- Whitebox ---- all your computers

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-May-12 21:06:40
Print Post

The idea is your PC's connect via the whitebox so it knows when you're using your connection. It will then avoid doing its tests when your connection is in active use as the results wouldn't be accurate.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-May-12 22:04:53
Print Post

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

What about other kit connected either wired or wireless to the router?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Rebeldiamond
(newbie) Wed 09-May-12 22:49:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's what i was going to ask next, 1 Laptop and a PS3 are wired, another laptop and a Smart tv are wireless.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 23:04:15
Print Post

Everything is meant to connect via the white box.

Did they not send a FAQ out?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 09-May-12 23:47:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

No it doesnt!

The SamKnows White Box (I have had one since January) plugs into the router (in your case the HH) BUT NOTHING ELSE CONNECTS TO THE WHITEBOX.

The whitebox listens via the wireless to prevent it running tests when the system is busy but it "int interested" in what the devices connacted to the LAN are doing and th switch in the router won't pass any data to it. So the map is:-

Modem ---- HH |------Witebox
|-------Other Devices
|-------Other devices

etc
All of the tests are run by the whitebox connecting to the WAN and running tests with the SamKnows servers.

Its ping monitors are very good as the packets are not "fighting" outbound traffic that the TBB BB monitor does and it's speed tests also seem to have huge bandwidth - on my BE* connection they are very stable reporting a solid 6.5 - 7 Mb/s when my line syncs at around 8 Mb/s.

EDIT - had a look at the SAMKNOWS site and I am wrong - the wired devices DO plug into the whitebox frown see here SamKnows site

Just waiting for Ashington to go live with FTTC - the CAB seems to be finished as do many others smile

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!

Edited by greenglide (Wed 09-May-12 23:54:04)

Standard User elevator
(regular) Thu 10-May-12 00:52:18
Print Post

Having had one now for 2 years I think. Right from the off, you connect the box to your router via one ethernet connection move all other all wired devices to ethernet ports on white box white box (black in my case). Wireless devices are not changed they stay as is, as far as I am aware it looks at wirless signals in its range.

When I first connectedthe white box I was on 2 meg now over 60meg how times haved changed since 28kps dial up.

Information is useful its amazing how fast your connection is in the middle of the night.
Standard User BP1
(committed) Thu 10-May-12 16:25:06
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

No it doesnt!

The SamKnows White Box (I have had one since January) plugs into the router (in your case the HH) BUT NOTHING ELSE CONNECTS TO THE WHITEBOX.

The whitebox listens via the wireless to prevent it running tests when the system is busy but it "int interested" in what the devices connacted to the LAN are doing and th switch in the router won't pass any data to it. So the map is:-

Modem ---- HH |------Witebox
|-------Other Devices
|-------Other devices

etc
All of the tests are run by the whitebox connecting to the WAN and running tests with the SamKnows servers.

Its ping monitors are very good as the packets are not "fighting" outbound traffic that the TBB BB monitor does and it's speed tests also seem to have huge bandwidth - on my BE* connection they are very stable reporting a solid 6.5 - 7 Mb/s when my line syncs at around 8 Mb/s.

EDIT - had a look at the SAMKNOWS site and I am wrong - the wired devices DO plug into the whitebox frown see here SamKnows site

Just waiting for Ashington to go live with FTTC - the CAB seems to be finished as do many others smile

If you read the faq as MrSaffron stated it clearlly states HH to white box and all other client devices connected to white box
https://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installa...
See installation guides

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-May-12 18:12:29
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Off topic question, do you think Ashington will be done by the end of June? I'm waiting on it too smile

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to