General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Sat 12-May-12 16:51:24
Print Post

Local councils or planning authorities refusing cab installs

[link to this post]

I'm in Hadleigh, Suffolk (EAHAS exchange) and luckily the cabinet I'm on already has an FTTC twin installed and ready to be switched on. But according to the local town council, either the local district council and/or the local planning authority have refused permission for two cabinets to be installed elsewhere in the town. I suppose this must have happened in other places, but I honestly can't remember reading about it on here since FTTC started being rolled out properly - quite the opposite, everywhere and everyone seems desperate for it. So has anyone heard of it happening elsewhere? The site of the existing PCPs where the FTTC twins would be installed means that the only thing they'd be obstructing is a dirty old wall and piece of pavement (with the piece of pavement already obstructed by the existing 50 year-old PCPs); they aren't in parks, beside nature reserves, or some sort of town monument, etc.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-May-12 16:59:14
Print Post

Re: Local councils or planning authorities refusing cab inst

[re: gazzyk1ns] [link to this post]

There are many examples where local authorities have refused planning consent for the installation of FTTC cabinets. Most if not all cases were where the intended location of the cab was in a conservation area. In most other cases planning consent is not required although in many if not all cases the LA is informed of BT's intentions.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sat 12-May-12 17:03:48
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Hove is one area where there were problems, and Richmond I think was another. But there have be others also.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Sat 12-May-12 17:16:53
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

...and was the result a load of arguing or at least bickering amongst authorities? Who "won"?

The locations of these cabinets definitely wouldn't be in conservation areas.
Standard User Hellish
(member) Sat 12-May-12 17:37:24
Print Post

I believe Donegall Street in Belfast is also being blocked. There are two cabs on the street and both are not being enabled for FTTC, where as the cab in North Street, which is around the corner is.

Donegall street is really an eye sore so how two extra cabs would make any difference. [censored] disgrace.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sun 13-May-12 02:26:53
Print Post

Do you know that your area is not a conservation area? If you check with the local council then you will find out.

If planning has been required, check with the planning dept. to find out the reason for any such refusal. You may find out that if planning has been required then your local town council may have objected to the planning permission.

Though BT Openreach has code powers to place their equipment, they don't have outright power to just place cabs where they want. If they intend to place cabs in stupid locations (blocking sight lines from road junc's etc.) then they may be delayed until they can arrange a new location.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s

Edited by Yaz (Sun 13-May-12 02:29:44)

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 13-May-12 07:52:37
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

@Yaz

There's been several delayed in Ramsgate, which I believe are in a conservation area, but there are no planning applications showing on UK Planning. They now seem to be rescheduled for the end of the month, when they were scheduled for the end of March, when the majority of the others were done.

This one ( http://g.co/maps/6hmqg ) still isn't rescheduled, any thoughts, or just BT strange way of working

Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Sun 13-May-12 08:51:51
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

the problem with that one is the people in the french bread cafe wouldn't like the view of the nice new fibre cab, if it came with scrawl then it would be okay.

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-May-12 10:05:41
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

the pavement seems very narrow could this be the reason? Need to factor in wheel chair / push chair access etc?
Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Sun 13-May-12 11:40:36
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Not for one of them at least, and in both cases, unless BT/Openreach have decided to put them in silly places in relation to the original cabinets, they won't obstruct any more of the pavement than the originals. For the record, here's one:

http://g.co/maps/3ug7s

...and here's the other, where the pavement is a bit narrower, but again, there's already a PCP/Pole there...

http://g.co/maps/dn9y5

4 cabs in the town (again, like mine, luckily) have already been installed, including one which has had to be put on the pavement because someone didn't want it on the edge of their grass (even though an existing PCP is on their grass, because it's older than the house which was built near there).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to