General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Tue 15-May-12 08:23:26
Print Post

FTTC coming to Port Talbot by 2013

[link to this post]

I recently found out that I missed an announcement that advertised FTTC coming to Port Talbot by 2013, this was announced in March I believe, while I was out of the country.

I thought it was worth an ask as I know there are very knowledgeable people here. Does anyone know if cabinets in Cwmavon (a large village close to port talbot, served by the Port Talbot exchange) will have its cabinets enabled?

The whole of Cwmavon suffers from very high attenuation and I have been informed by BT over the years that there is a healthy about of Aluminum in the local loop. Attenuation ranges from 55 to 60 and I donít know anyone who has greater that 1.5 to 1.8mbit speeds on adsl.

Over the last few weeks, BT openreach have been digging up the roads in Cwmafan, no new cabinets have appeared but in several places along the main roads, a 2mx0.5m (approx., sometimes larger) trench has been dug, exposing old cables, then filled in and tarmacked over. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but its the only action I have seen so far.

Mostly all of Neath/Port Talbot area is also served by Virgin Media, though all the new houses built in the last decade or more cannot get it without paying Virgin Media thousands of pounds. I was worried that BT may skip the area as Virgin were already here!

Thanks.

============
Sky ADSL
============
Standard User paul1360
(member) Tue 15-May-12 09:13:56
Print Post

Re: FTTC coming to Port Talbot by 2013

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

Bora da,
Nobody lives in Cwmavon these days do they??? lol
Have a look at this and see if there's any information that helps
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

iechyd da

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 18-May-12 01:59:35
Print Post

[re: paul1360] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link, no information on there yet though.

Im hunting on googlemaps for the nearest cabinet to me, can anyone confirm whether this is a BT or Virgin Media cabinet please?

Link to Google Maps Street View

Many thanks.

============
Sky ADSL
============

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 02:33:20
Print Post

Thats a VM cab,

this is a BT cab and most likely the one you are connected to

http://g.co/maps/xtzf2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User paul1360
(member) Fri 18-May-12 09:13:27
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Not 100% sure it's a VM cab.
If you look here there are photo's of street cabs:--
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html
This was put together by RobertoS from on here, I hope it's ok to put the link here RobertoS?
I didn't think that VM has got down that far yet, well in fact Cardiff is the only place I know that have VM
Sorry link not give you more information
iechyd da

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 09:30:25
Print Post

Its not a BT/Openreach cabinet. There is a BT cabinet further along the road, no.44
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 18-May-12 15:54:51
Print Post

Thanks for the replies all.

Yes it is a Virgin Media area, though all newly built houses in the area do not have access to it unless we pay thousands of pounds. Swansea is also VM enabled in most areas.

Thanks for the link to the cabinet ccxo, that does look more like the bt cabinet pictures I have seen online.

At Ribble, thanks for the post, Im looking up and down Cwmclais road, where I originally linked to, I cannot find a cabinet with the number 44 on it, would googlemaps have enough detail to read it or do you have knowledge of area to know its number 44?

Many thanks.

============
Sky ADSL
============
Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Fri 18-May-12 17:00:10
Print Post

Update, managed to find cabinet 44 on google maps, looks like a BT cabinet for sure:

Cabinet 44!

============
Sky ADSL
============
Standard User paul1360
(member) Sat 19-May-12 08:33:58
Print Post

dave,
Well I've learnt something today that's for sure, VM in Swansea, Ias i said didn't think they had got that far down. It does look like you now have a bit of a wait until FTTC comes to you.
iechyd da

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sat 19-May-12 23:25:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by paul1360:
dave,
Well I've learnt something today that's for sure, VM in Swansea, Ias i said didn't think they had got that far down. It does look like you now have a bit of a wait until FTTC comes to you.
iechyd da

Hey Paul,

I've had a 2mbit adsl connection (59db attenuation) for years, so knowing that FTTC is coming to the area is great, just hope they enable my cabinet!

============
Sky ADSL
============
  Print Thread

Jump to