General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-May-12 20:41:47
Print Post

FTTC Ashington Exchange

[link to this post]

There's a few of us on here waiting on FTTC to be installed in Ashington or the surrounding towns/villages but so far all discussion has been in unrelated threads started by others.

I thought we could all post the latest activity we've spotted around town.

Last week i noted that a long trench had been created on Hawthorn Road (top block, between Castle Terrace and 1st Avenue) to clear blocked ducting.

Today fibre was being laid next to the cab at the top of Alexandra Road. This was the first time I've seen fibre being actively laid.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Ashington (Northumberland) Exchange
Fibre due June 2012!
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 15-May-12 21:13:46
Print Post

Re: FTTC Ashington Exchange

[re: Kr1s69] [link to this post]

This is not the Fibre being laid, as Fibre is not laid. What you probably saw is them laying the "empty" pipe, and once in place, they "blow" the fibre through the tube from the head-end exchange or nearest point of presence. But either way, yes, thats a good step forward!

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-May-12 21:37:24
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks James, I had laser eye surgery this morning and my wife was driving so I didn't get a good look at what they were doing!

The tubing looked narrower than I've seen previously, so I thought it was fibre rather than the tubing. I'll have a better look tomorrow.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Fibre due June 2012!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 15-May-12 21:39:09
Print Post

Hope it went well and you can see the benefit (no pun intended, sorry!)

Yeah, the tube is very thin, as the Fibreoptic cables that are blown through are so thin like a piece of string.

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 15-May-12 23:15:04
Print Post

There is a large number of CABs been installed over the past couple of months including mine (PCP 55), three others within 800 metres or so and three or four that I have seen in Stakeford south of the river.

Presumably we don't know whether we are all connected from the exchange (or if any of us are) - the main exchange seems to be Cramlington which was enabled a while ago (first in Northumberland?) followed by Bedlington which the first OpenReach spreadsheet indicated was actually provisioned from Cramlington.

BT roadworks in Choppington lane could be to get the fibre here?

And Blyth was enabled on Monday 14th May - lucky *****

The Ashington exchange seems to cover some reasonably long lines so FTTC will make a big difference on availability but with the demise of Alcan and other employers there must be many people who won't be able to afford it.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Metallifux
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 07:21:23
Print Post

I recently got Sky reinstalled after a year away (finally offered me a deal worth having) so I'll be looking to join their fibre product come go live. Currently with Be but at over 2 miles from the exchange I'm only getting 4.5Mb.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 16-May-12 10:40:47
Print Post

There are two sets of BT roadworks on roadworks.org on Milburn road and Sixth and Seventh Avenue from 16th - 24th May and 17th - 29th May. This seems longer than a simple CAB installation.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User beady_uk
(newbie) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:49:34
Print Post

Does anyone have any more info on this?

My cab has been installed for approx 6 weeks and no one has been back to it as far as i am aware.

Im looking forward to getting fibre as i only get 2mb at the moment. The bt checker says i can get 56mb - thats a 28x increase so i will definitely be signing up. Im going for sky though as soon as they have the equipment hooked up in the exchange.
Standard User Kr1s69
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jun-12 22:47:23
Print Post

[re: beady_uk] [link to this post]

Roadworks.org has a few electricity connections listed and some work by BT on Milburn Road and Newbiggin Road.

There is also some new spray paint on Hawthorn Road on top of a BT manhole cover. Arrows pointing in various directions and the word "Coil"

I had hoped we were nearly ready for go live but this suggests more work is needed.

Kris

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Fibre due June 2012!
Standard User Metallifux
(newbie) Wed 27-Jun-12 12:23:57
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Just a few days left till then end of the month. Still no new cabinet in my street, guess maybe I am connected to another one.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to