General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AbiNormal
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 12:27:25
Print Post

Performance drop, and speed test

[link to this post]

For the last year I've had a rock-steady 33Mbps (+/-3) down and 7.1 (negligible variance) up FTTC service with IdNet. Latency around 50ms. Cabinet is about 150 yards away. I use a bog standard Openreach VDSL modem with a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn router using PPPoE. Speed tests were performed using the thinkbroadband speed test.

The BT cable from the manhole across the road (5 yards) into my house degraded to the point that we lost voice calls. BT replaced the cable last week, the new cable carries two voice lines and the FTTC service.

Immediately after the new cable was installed, FTTC service degraded. The down speed is now variable between 15 and 30, up is around 3.6. Latency is around 70ms. I've powered everything off and on at my end, but after a week the service is showing no signs of training back up to original levels. IdNet says wait and see so I'll give it another week before escalating. However, they also say there is no obvious fault on the line and since the new performance is still within acceptable parameters for the service, I expect I shall get nowhere.

Given that all that has changed is the cable, is there anything I can do, or suggestions/questions I can aim at IdNet or BT, that might start moving things back in the right direction?

One other thing, while the thinkbroad speed test today said 14.8/3.7Mbps and 69ms, a BT speed test at the same time said 32.8/6.7Mbps and 41ms. Any idea why there is such variance between the two speed tests?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-May-12 14:10:22
Print Post

Re: Performance drop, and speed test

[re: AbiNormal] [link to this post]

BT speedtest skips a big chunk of the internet, so avoids some BT Wholesale issues, and possible ISP congestion.
Does our testing roughly agree with how connection feels in day to day downloads?

Since April 10th when the 80 Meg service launched, reports of highly variable speeds have occurred.

What does a tracert show, latency of 70ms on an otherwise idle connection points to a problem somewhere, a tracert may help narrow the location or bottleneck down.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AbiNormal
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 15:46:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Did a tracert to www.thinkbroadband.com. Results were:

Tracing route to www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms telehouse-gw2-lo1.idnet.net [212.69.63.51]
3 25 ms * 26 ms telehouse-gw5-e4-400.idnet.net [212.69.63.245]
4 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms lonap-gw1.thdo.ncuk.net [193.203.5.142]
5 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms gi0-24-10-star1.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net [80.249.97.9]
6 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms www.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.99.130]

Trace complete.

At the same time, BT speedtest said 32.8 down, 5.2 up, 20.6 latency, while thinkbroadband speedtest said 15.4 down, 3.7 up, 70 latency.

Here's a graph showing how the perfomance characteristics changed dramatically as soon as the line was renewed - see the dramatic drop-off at the end.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-May-12 15:47:35
Print Post

If you are seeing the same speeds as before off the BT Speedtest then the problem is not your local connection. If it were all speed tests would be low. Can you see the actual modem connection stats to confirm sync, noise margin, etc. I know it seems like a big coincidence that problems started soon after the cable replacement but I think it must be.
Standard User AbiNormal
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 15:57:01
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I've never used BT speed test before today so have no comparisons for that. My comparison speed tests were all done with the thinkbroadband speed test and they seem to me to show a big difference between before and after (see the graph in an earlier post). I don't know that it's significant, to be honest I can't see any noticeable slow-down in browsing or downloads, it was just the before/after difference that struck me, I'd have thought a new cable would, at worst, have a neutral effect.

How do I see the connection stats for the modem? I can find stuff on my router but don't know how to access the modem (no user guide with it).
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 17-May-12 17:44:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by AbiNormal:
How do I see the connection stats for the modem? I can find stuff on my router but don't know how to access the modem (no user guide with it).

I'm afraid you have to unlock it. See http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/ (assuming it's the Huawei HG612).

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Thu 17-May-12 17:45:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-May-12 17:51:28
Print Post

Where are you seeing the latency on our speedtest?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AbiNormal
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 18:19:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Where are you seeing the latency on our speedtest?

In "My Profile" I downloaded the table of speed test results to CSV, the export option is right at the bottom of the page. The CSV results contain a column for latency.

Edited by AbiNormal (Thu 17-May-12 18:30:10)

Standard User AbiNormal
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 18:28:12
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I'm afraid you have to unlock it. See http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/ (assuming it's the Huawei HG612).

Bit scarey for me confused

Thinking of getting a new Vigor router with integrated VDSL modem soon. If this current issue is still unresolved at that point, I should be able to get to the connection stats then.

Edited by AbiNormal (Thu 17-May-12 18:29:24)

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Thu 17-May-12 18:41:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by AbiNormal:

Bit scarey for me confused

Heck of a lot cheaper than buying a Vigor modem/router though! I was initially reluctant to do it, but it turned out to be pretty straightforward.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to