General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-May-12 16:21:58
Print Post

Sky fibre problem

[link to this post]

Hello

I have just tried to place an order for Fibre BB with Sky and I've run into a problem. Apparently, Sky cannot provision this service because I migrated my line from BT to Sky about three years ago. They say they are working on a 'fix'. Does anybody know anything about this? More importantly will all providers run into the same problem?

Thanks for any advice

Steve
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 17-May-12 16:36:33
Print Post

Re: Sky fibre problem

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I don't see what the problem is

I migrated my line from BT to sky a while back and still got fibre.

Try to order here http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/broadband-talk/

On fibre broadband click the get it now
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-May-12 16:47:26
Print Post

Which speed fibre did you try and order?

40 Meg should be no issue
80 Meg Sky are being a bit odd with this one. (Only Sky though)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-May-12 16:53:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

TalkTalk are also being odd like Sky - 80/20 is new customers only and the Talk Talk site says "early summer" for current customers.

h
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Thu 17-May-12 17:13:50
Print Post

I managed to get it though being an existing customer. I had full LLU with phone, line rental and broadband + TV with sky.

I did order when it was still in trials though, actually. hmmm..

I've even been getting emails asking me to 'upgrade.' The emails point me to here
http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/

Under exisitng customers click 'Sign in to upgrade'

It then lets you add it to the basket.

Cancellations always have special rights also... Might be worth going through to them and explaining that you are thinking of going elsewhere as sky wont offer you the fibre service even though it's available.

I think they will automatically offer you it. Give it a shot, go through to cancel. Best advice I can offer if you are unable to get it via the normal channels. It definitely can happen and can be done.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 17-May-12 17:17:29)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-May-12 23:22:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

Just trying to order the normal 40/2 service (I will only get 30meg down anyway). Spent an hour on the phone with Sky whilst they tried to place the order, but no luck. They say it will be July before this issue is fixed.

Steve
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-May-12 23:50:01
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I don't see what the problem is

I migrated my line from BT to sky a while back and still got fibre.

Well it would be a bit peculiar (for Sky to be unable to provide Sky FTTC to people who already have their 'phone from Sky).

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 18-May-12 00:13:29
Print Post

There are definitely a few issues with getting the sky fibre unlimited pro for existing customers.

With regards to the 40/2 mbps product everybody can get it.

I think there might be a technical issue stopping you.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 18-May-12 00:48:24
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Sky have said this is a known technical issue. The person I was talking to seemed well clued up and was adament that they could not proceed with the order for the present. I was really trying to establish whether I could place an order with another provider? To put it another way is the issue confined to Sky? Has anybody else been rejected by Sky because of a previous line migration to themselves, but gone on to order from another provider? I'm seriously considering ordering a second line, getting FTTC BB on it then dumping my existing Sky line (which has Xilo LLU on it). Is this overkill? Perhaps I should just wait for Sky to fix the issue. Ok, too much waffle, any thoughts appreciated.

Steve
Standard User speedyrite
(regular) Fri 18-May-12 08:19:12
Print Post

From what I have read elsewhere, I would think the issue is confined to Sky and that an order for FTTC with another provider would succeed.

They seem to be having issues with their internal systems at the moment, which is leading to niggling problems such as e-mails being sent out to people who pre-registered and have already got Sky FTTC telling them it's not available to them, router not being sent out to customers who have ordered FTTC in time for installation etc.

On top of this, there also seem to have been problems with failed installation due to BT OR no-shows (which is probably due to problems between Sky & BT OR systems) which has naturally angered people, and there appear to be some people who seem to be having "half-speed" issues for which a root cause has not yet been fully identified.

Existing Sky FTTC customers cannot upgrade to the 80/20 product until June (or is it July?!) and there is no sign of 40/2 becoming 40/10 at present (allegedly it will not but there's no official information on this).

Having said all of the above, I've had Sky FTTC for about 3 weeks now - no problems with ordering and installation and so far I'm happy with it. But I was prepared to go with Plan B if Sky had not opened up for ordering when they did or if my order had failed, because my cabinet had been enabled for quite a while and I felt that I had waited long enough for them to come to market with a product.

Edited by speedyrite (Fri 18-May-12 08:21:57)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to