General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baldurk
(newbie) Thu 17-May-12 20:36:47
Print Post

How many FTTC cabinets per area *DELETED*

[link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-May-12 21:39:59
Print Post

Re: How many FTTC cabinets per area

[re: baldurk] [link to this post]

So I'm wondering - what's the usual ratio of PSTN cabinets to FTTC cabinets? Obviously it's not going to be 1:1

In the sense that you get one FTTC DSLAM for one PSTN cabinet, it is 1:1.
Having checked the spreadsheet for my postcode before I know all the lines here are supposed to be activated eventually, but I'm wondering if this FTTC cabinet can really serve the whole street. It seems unlikely to me that 288 lines (which I think is the max for the larger size) could really cover all the homes here.

I think that maybe you haven't fully understood how this all works. The FTTC cab is installed, and if, and when, a punter orders service from an FTTC ISP, then a port is assigned, connected, and off you go.
Many lines served through a cabinet do not require an FTTC port. The busiest cab I know round here, has been active for well over a year, and they are only just starting on the second of the 100 pair ties.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-May-12 22:13:17
Print Post

I don't think there will be that many PCPs (PSTN) cabinets in 800m along one street, though it's possible if they feed a lot of streets behind the buildings. They sound much more like slave VM cable cabinets.

Your PCP will have the number 129 on it. It serves all the lines for 13 postcodes and some for another 11. VM cabinets generally have much longer numbers.

Have a look at the cabinet photos here. There are 6 PCPs, 3 FTTC and 3 VM.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baldurk
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 15:36:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@Zarjas yeh, I realise a port isn't assigned until someone places an order - but the spreadsheet indicated that 100% of lines would be able to get FTTC (ie. if I understand correctly, no-one would just be unable to order because of the cabinet they're on not being upgraded). So given how many lines there must be in this area I'd be surprised if a single 288 cabinet could handle the load in the long term, and would fill up. Seems like it would be pretty bad future planning on BT's part smile.

Anyway, I went on a little walk with my digital camera to take some photos of the cabinets so that I could compare them to the photos and also show you. A couple are missing because the camera crapped out and just saved blank white frown.

Turns out I should have gone to have a closer look at this 'fttc' cabinet before, since it would have answered my question. It has a sticker on the front saying it's vodafone property! pic here Obviously not openreach tongue. It's a derail, but I'm curious what kind of cabinet it could be then? It's C on the map below btw.

Not that it really matters either way I've marked on a google map withthe cabinets I found (some of them are in the streetview, a couple are new). I think they all look like PCPs but I could easily be misidentifying. I've uploaded pictures here: http://baldurk.org/cabs. Google street view will give you a fair idea of what the area is like - it's mostly all blocks of flats and old buildings that have been flatted for student accomodation.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Fri 18-May-12 18:28:52
Print Post

Its a cell site cabinet. Must be a mast adjacent or close by.
Only cabinet E is a BT/Openreach cabinet.
Believe Openreach plan for about 50% takeup of FTTC, so a 288 line cabinet would expect to cater for 500+ properties.

Edited by Ribble (Fri 18-May-12 18:53:41)

Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 19-May-12 10:14:58
Print Post

The 100% refers to the percentage of lines in that post code supplied from that cabinet, some postcodes are supplied by more than one cabinet, so the percentages will differ, but total 99% (not 100% due to rounding errors) for any given postcode supplied by multiple cabinets, for example:

NDBRO BROADSTAIRS CT103LA {NDBRO}{P1} 0 66% 65.96 8a Yes FTTC
NDBRO BROADSTAIRS CT103LA {NDBRO}{P21} 0 33%

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 19-May-12 10:15:28)

Print Thread

Jump to