General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NeedingFibre
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 09:57:41
Print Post

Can't get fibre but everywhere round me can.

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

I was very keen to learn that a new cabinet was recently added in my area so I have been looking forward to seeing what we could get from it fibre wise.

I've been checking both BT and Sky services today and it seems that neither can offer fibre broadband, but the strange thing is it's only for my street - all the streets round me can get it.

It gets a little stranger...one of the checkers I tried (I can't remember which, I found the link on here) estimated my fibre speed to be 35mbps...yet the providers say I can't get it.

Could someone with more knowledge than me on the matter please explain what could be going wrong.

My post code is PR4 4AY and our exchange is LCLOT

If you look on Google maps you will see that we are small road and the cabinet is 1440 feet from my road.

The main road that my road branches from Chapel Lane - PR4 4AB can get fibre, as can the road opposite mine (also branching from the main road), South Avenue with a post code of PR4 4BB.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 11:23:40
Print Post

Re: Can't get fibre but everywhere round me can.

[re: NeedingFibre] [link to this post]

I've just seen the link MrSaffron posted to mr_magicfingers and he posted the link I found that said I could get fibre, it's http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

For me that link says:

Postcode Exchange Service Type Probability Speed Increase Phase Cabinet
PR44AY LONGTON; LANCASHIRE FTTC 100% 3.44 6A announced March 2010 P9

So that says I can get fibre which would give me a speed of around 36mbps - not to be sneezed at, but neither BT nor Sky think I can get it. frown

What's going on?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-May-12 11:27:08
Print Post

That is a spreadsheet from December 2011, and thre are cabinets that have not been installed yet, so very likely to be the case for your phone line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 11:43:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for the reply but it's not the case in this instance.

If I put the post code of the road opposite me in - South Avenue - PR4 4BB, in the 'can I get infinity' box on BTs website it says I can get infinity at 27.5Mb/5.7Mb

If I put a house number and post code of Chapel Lane PR4 4AB it says I can get 23.4Mb/5.6Mb - that's the main road that both my road and South Avenue branch off.

So the cabinet is enabled as others in my area - in fact exceptionally close to me can get it. I've done searches for roads further away as well but still in my village and they can also get it...it really does just seem to be my post code. frown

Edited by NeedingFibre (Fri 18-May-12 11:44:17)

Standard User cornasdf
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 11:46:15
Print Post

I am having the same problem as teh OP. the availability checkers show my property as not enabled. My neighbor came up (first on teh cabinet) and I asked the engineer who installed him what was up. he said there was no engineering reason that I shouldn't be able to come up (he even pulled up a wiring diagram from my property to the cab). When I speak to BT though, they say, basically, 'computer says no' and won't give me any more details as to why.

Super frustrating...

the link above puts my probability at 100%...
(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 12:16:54
Print Post

[re: cornasdf] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply cornasdf, sorry to hear you are having the same issues but glad in a way it's not just me!

I wonder how many people are affected by it.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Fri 18-May-12 12:35:59
Print Post

If you truly believe it is an error in the OpenReach database you could always trying emailing the head man at BT and explain the issue calmly and rationally - ranting won't help!

The email you need can be found on the internet - try here CEO email

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-May-12 12:57:40
Print Post

If every indication is that this is a mistake then try the contact us at www.openreach.co.uk, though ideally your chosen provider should do this on your behalf.

Failing that the CEO as suggested by another poster.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 18-May-12 13:31:08
Print Post

The BT data seems to be littered with mistakes, as others have said, you need to do a it bit of research, use the spread sheet to check the other addresses are on the same cabinet as you. The 100% is a percentage of lines in that postcode supplied from that cabinet, it's possible they are on a different cabinet.

Do your research, speak to engineers if possible, document it and then send yours emails off as above.

(newbie) Fri 18-May-12 13:51:09
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, they are really helpful!

I will contact Openreach and see what they say but evidence gathering first is a good idea.

How should I go about that, the spreadsheet that R0NSKI mentions, is that the coolwebhome link?

Finally how do I check the cabinets? Is that the P9 in the results I posted above? If I check some local addresses and they area all on P9 that means they are using the same cabinet or is it more complicated than that?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to