General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 16:35:04
Print Post

Possible fibre optic?

[link to this post]

Hi
was with fibre boost but had to move house and fibre is not available in my new place

in the new place seems no one used BT line perhaps for years
the engineer came to give me adsl line but he had to replace old shocked(the cooper rj connector at main socket was all rusty) and he could not find the cabinet where i was connected(seems the cable was broke some where between house and cabinet)

after 2 hours he connected me with a new cable to a small black cabinet plastic box (i guess less trouble for him then take new cable to the nearest cabinet which perhaps was many buildings on the way)
(pic below)
http://i48.tinypic.com/24lioer.jpg

He told me this is coming direct from the exchange centre (i asked the distance and is 2.4 kilometres far)

My question is...
Can this small miniature cabinet get fibre optic connection in future??
a new fibre cabinet is at distance of 100m away from house but will be sold out, who will be connect to that new fibre cabinet, in about 2 months time(after asked the engineers who was working on it)

I havew made same question at TT forum because is my isp but replys there are slow
Any comment about it is welcome
thanks for time

Edited by babis3g (Sat 19-May-12 16:36:55)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-May-12 16:38:55
Print Post

Re: Possible fibre optic?

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

That's not a 'miniature cabinet' it's an 18 series DP (distribution point) block.

Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 16:42:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

thank you for fast reply
never heard about it before
is better than cabinet (once is coming direct from exchange if is true according to the BT engineer)???
i guess if is coming direct from exchange it must be good connection because are not many house holds connected like normal cabinet

--my main interest please can get in future FTTC???or some service for the fibre 80/20 product or just will just stuck with adsl?

Edited by babis3g (Sat 19-May-12 16:45:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 17:00:58
Print Post

i find the answer in the same forum here after searching Distribution Point
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4078145-popla...

It seems if is true and line coming direct from exchange perhaps will never get fttc 80/20

any one know how to find out via BT openreach or BT?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 19-May-12 17:18:50
Print Post

About 14% of lines connect directly to the exchange. They cannot have a fibre to the cabinet service because there is no cabinet.

There may potentially be a solution to this at some stage in the future, but that's yet to be announced.

We assume the engineer to be correct here - it is a direct exchange line. Have you checked what the online checkers say for your phone number? They don't happen to mention anything about a line sharing device, by any chance.. do you have ADSL now?
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 17:33:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

yes i am connected since thursday with adsl at this point box
i asked the BT engineer that has done the new adsl insillation (had a small machine like mobile and a laptop) and told i m far 2.4 kilometers from exchange so i assume i am direct to the exchange

the checker says there is not fttc available according to my address and near by addresses
can not use phone line number to check because i am with TT and seems they have not register the phone number with BT data base

how ever 2 weeks ago (before my adsl connection take place to the black box point ) i see BT engineers fitting a new fttc large cabinet less than 100 m and they told me will go live in about 2-3 months

But i guess i am not lucky one
thanks for reply guys i have post at TT forum and hope they can investigate for me

Edited by babis3g (Sat 19-May-12 17:35:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-May-12 19:05:29
Print Post

"and told i m far 2.4 kilometers from exchange so i assume i am direct to the exchange"

Nothing in that statement means you should assume you have a direct exchange line. To be honest I am not sure what there is to investigate.

If the new cabinet is only just being fitted in the area, then actual service from it may be some months away, and once its like the post code checks should show it is available.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 00:37:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for reply
i am back home now

yea i find it a bit strange this connection to come direct all the way from exchange just for 18 houses no matter what the engineer said

from what i have understand Distribution Point does not get fttc if is direct from exchange
Unless if post code code come up with fttc available - if i am lucky to be connected at new fibre cabinet

thanks all for your fast reply s and your time about my post

i also have post at TT forums but they are slow there

what in general i mean that black box does not really looks for fttc to me ...but the only i can do is just wait and see what happens
My best wishes to all of you!!!!

Edited by babis3g (Sun 20-May-12 00:46:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-May-12 07:21:09
Print Post

The black box is just for joining two bits of wire together.

The FTTC cabinets are a LOT bigger and cost £35000 to £50000 each

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sun 20-May-12 15:19:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by babis3g:
thanks for reply
i am back home now

yea i find it a bit strange this connection to come direct all the way from exchange just for 18 houses no matter what the engineer said

from what i have understand Distribution Point does not get fttc if is direct from exchange
Unless if post code code come up with fttc available - if i am lucky to be connected at new fibre cabinet

thanks all for your fast reply s and your time about my post

i also have post at TT forums but they are slow there

what in general i mean that black box does not really looks for fttc to me ...but the only i can do is just wait and see what happens
My best wishes to all of you!!!!

What's your postcode?

BT Infinity #2 - 8.7MBps via P2P ¦ Full 80/20 Sync ¦
BT / Openreach - You've finally done well. Very well indeed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to