General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Paul_Dabinett
(newbie) Sat 19-May-12 21:31:10
Print Post

Does this map really show the FTTC status in our area?

[link to this post]

I'm confused. We want to upgrade from an ADSL Max package, but gave up on Virgin Media (we have their cable service in our street) because all the different sources I consulted said they were poor at dealing with customer problems - and their traffic shaping might well have meant that we got the headline speeds ... except when they were needed (e.g. we're not that fussed about downloading a clutch of e-mails 10X faster if you catch my drift).

Looking at FTTC availability, I could see that our exchange was already enabled (Headington in Oxford, last July I think), but the BT checker showed no availability (or planned availability) for our postcode, nor did it for any other local address, even those on the exchange's doorstep.

A bit more searching came up with BT wholesale's Guide_to-using_the_FTTC_and_FTTP_roll_out_plans.pptx - this showed how resellers could check which cabinets were enabled so they could target their marketing appropriately. All very sensible.

However, it appears that the documents referred to in the presentation - ‘FTTC Cab Delivery Update Summary’ and ‘PCP to Postcode Report’ are not available to the public. I was just going to shut down my browser when this popped up - a geotagged map of FTTC cabinet availability in Headington. Although it looks like the data is not perfectly matched to the map (I think it only has one entry per postcode), it clearly shows that there is substantial FTTC availability in our area, and for our street it shows:

HEADINGTON OX3 7EW

SAU_ID: SMHD
SAU_NODE_ID: {SMHD}{p23}
Exchange Only Flag: 0
Percent Lines: 100
Uplift: 4.29
Phase: 5b
Deployed: Yes
FTTC or FTTP: FTTC

So what's the real situation here? Has someone posted fake information just to wind people up? Have I misinterpreted this info to mean actual availability when it's only planned? But if it's planned, why doesn't BT Wholesale's availability checker say so?

Would be grateful for some help with this...

Still hoping for some sensible legislation and purposeful planning ... ever the idealist!
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 19-May-12 23:12:28
Print Post

Re: Does this map really show the FTTC status in our area?

[re: Paul_Dabinett] [link to this post]

The map you've found is basically data from the document you referred to as being no longer publicly available, except it is, at least the December 2011 version is. Somebody has just taken the data and mapped it.

I've just used your postcode to check a few addresses, and it clearly shows FTTC is available, I checked 37,41, 57 & 46A and it shows this:

For Address 46A TOWN FURZE, HEADINGTON, OXFORD, OX3 7EW on Exchange HEADINGTON

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 27.5 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.7 Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

You can check your own details here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Enter your phone number with out a space, if it's not recognised then click the address checker NOT the postcode checker - that will not show FFTC information.

Make sure you enter your house number and postcode, and you should get the same results I posted above.

Going by the 27.5Mbps you must be some distance from your cabinet, but these estimates are normally on the conservative side, so you may well get better speeds.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 19-May-12 23:15:07)

Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-May-12 06:18:48
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Hi Ronski,

I wonder if you could check postcode GL4 5P. I am a little surprised by the BT checker. All the previous data said no fibre in the short term. The checker now says September this year. Good news if it is right.
Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 20-May-12 06:30:05
Print Post

[re: anon1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by anon1:
I wonder if you could check postcode GL4 5P.

That is not a full postcode - you might want to amend that.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Moradin
(member) Sun 20-May-12 10:41:32
Print Post

the december sheet has nothing, but it might have changed.

Dont expect too much by September though, they are mainly late with timings etc.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-May-12 18:29:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Apologies GL4 5FP.
Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-May-12 18:31:47
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

Thanks. I know there was nothing on the December sheets, not even a mention. That is why I was surprised with what the checker came up with.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 20-May-12 22:23:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by anon1:
Thanks. I know there was nothing on the December sheets, not even a mention. That is why I was surprised with what the checker came up with.

It is in the December spreadsheet and you are scheduled for FTTC, 100% of lines in your post code are supplied from cabinet P31 and are scheduled for FFTC in phase 9a, http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ shows a forecast date of September 2012 when I enter your post code. Could be sooner or it could be later, at least it's scheduled.

SSBWD BARNWOOD GL45FP {SSBWD}{P31} 0 100% 5.23 9a Yes FTTC

Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-May-12 20:02:35
Print Post

Thanks for that. Somehow I missed it in the December ones. Wont count my chickens until it arrives.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by anon1 (Mon 21-May-12 20:04:18)

Standard User Paul_Dabinett
(newbie) Mon 21-May-12 21:42:25
Print Post

Thanks for your reply, Ronski, it's really helped to get a clearer picture. Unfortunately it's not the picture I wanted!

I was able to find a copy of the December 2011 'PCP to Postcode' document and it confirmed the info shown on the geotagged map for my local exchange area. That is, 100% of the lines in our postcode are connected to the same cabinet. Just as you said, addresses on our street are being offered the FTTC service. For example, the house next door (the old couple there have absolutely zero interest in new technology; but a check on their address shows estimates of 27.5Mbps down, 5.7Mbps up) ... but not our house.

After a few more address checks and a walk outside to check the cable routes ('phone lines on our street are strung from poles) I could see that the excluded addresses are all connected via one pole down our end of the street. I carried on checking the first few houses round the corner in the next street - and they (all connected to the same cab according to the table) are all being offered FTTC.

I understand that BT are unwilling to offer the service where estimated speeds are less than 15Mbps, but it puzzles me that a difference of <50m would make that difference (reduction from 27.5 to < 15Mbps). Would it? Or is it a question of the fibre installation engineers sticking a test on each line and striking out any that don't meet certain standards? Why would all lines off one pole have problems (after all it's just a piece of wood)?

But why then would the 'PCP to Postcode' report 100% of lines connected?

Is there anything else I can do to follow this up, as guess it's most likely that the service would function well if it was actually on offer?

Still hoping for some sensible legislation and purposeful planning ... ever the idealist!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to