General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chrisadsl
(regular) Mon 21-May-12 14:04:03
Print Post

Aborted installation

[link to this post]

Unfortunately, things were too good be true (an appt one month from the cab 
going in). Ordered FTTC from AAISP a week ago, got appointment for today.

OR installed modem (wall mounted), then he was obviously having 
some problems so he had to go back to cab where he was for at least half an 
hour. My worst fears were realised when he came back and said none of the 
ports in the FTTC cab had been enabled! That meant getting another engineer (Huawei? PCR engineer?)
to do the cab work, and a new appt for me. OR called back and said the cab 
would be done this afternoon, but I would have to wait until Monday for a 
new appt! Particularly annoying as it will hopefully be a 5 min job at home, assuming the cab is fully functioning.

As I was going to be the first customer on this cab, clearly they had not tried it before. Has anyone heard of this happening? Doesn't the Wholesale checker check these things?
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Mon 21-May-12 14:56:56
Print Post

Re: Aborted installation

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

Yeh, happens occassionally. Often the filters are not installed so all the ports are disconnected.
Standard User Alexir
(learned) Tue 22-May-12 07:19:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by chrisadsl:
My worst fears were realised when he came back and said none of the 
ports in the FTTC cab had been enabled! That meant getting another engineer (Huawei? PCR engineer?)

The other engineer is someone else from Openreach. The engineer that comes to your house often knows nothing about the workings of the fibre cabinet and may never have even seen inside one. During your home installation he only accesses the old copper cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-May-12 11:21:02
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

What does he do - just pick the next free pair to & from the fibre cab and "loop" your line in??

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
3.48Mb/s - 0.91Mb/s - 27ms
http://speedtest.net/result/1940826652.png
Standard User TLE
(newbie) Tue 22-May-12 14:23:41
Print Post

Happened to me last week, as I was also the first person on the cab. Engineer called to say he was at the cab and was about to start work. 15 minutes later, he calls back and says he reverted everything and cannot proceed due to an issue with the ports on the Dslam.

Plusnet got straight onto it, and a new appointment was arranged for 31st, they then got openreach to expidite the appointment as it was their fault. They are now coming tomorrow afternoon now.

Edited by TLE (Tue 22-May-12 14:24:37)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 22-May-12 19:27:21
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

At the PCP they identify the exchange and distribution sides of the line and break the circuit. The exchange side with Dial Tone is connected to a pair going into the fibre cab, and the Distributuon side is connected to the corresponding pair returning from the fibre cab with the Dial Tone and xDSL signal.
In the fibre cab everything should be connected through. There are plugin filters that connect through the circuit and allow testing of each port .
In a situation where a port is faulty the installation tech will be given alternative ports to try, but if they are all faulty then it suggests that either the filters are missing/not inserted fully or maybe a missing/ faulty VDSL card.

Edited by Ribble (Tue 22-May-12 19:38:56)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 20:18:51
Print Post

[re: pete_thomson] [link to this post]

No, the port to be used is allocated already, just as an exchange DSLAM port might be, so it's virtual path to the ISP is built prior to the visit.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-May-12 20:24:37
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In the fibre cab everything should be connected through. There are plugin filters that connect through the circuit and allow testing of each port .

The purpose of the filters in the FTTC DSLAM cabinet, is to remove the any ADSL signal coming down the pair from the exchange.

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Tue 22-May-12 20:51:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

And to allow testing of the individual ports by the PCR techs.
Standard User chrisadsl
(regular) Wed 23-May-12 16:27:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

The purpose of the filters in the FTTC DSLAM cabinet, is to remove the any ADSL signal coming down the pair from the exchange.

Well I think he said he tried all the ports (maybe a slight exaggeration!)

But is there no polling of these ports to alert them that they are not in use?

PCR = ?

Appt for next Monday now confirmed. Hopefully all will be ready and he won't need to spend much time in my home.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to