General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 25-May-12 09:53:16
Print Post

BT FTTC Modem Stats

[link to this post]

Morning,

Had a quick search around the forums and google but couldn't find the answer, sorry if this gets asked alot im just looking for a decent answer! smile

Got my FTTC installed today and I wondered if it is possible to read the stats off my BT FTTC modem without having to 'hack' it. I don't want to make changes just simply read what profile im on and what my SNR is.

Cheers,
Dan
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-May-12 09:57:12
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC Modem Stats

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

which modem ?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 25-May-12 09:57:16
Print Post

The BT Speed Tester (diagnostic) will tell you your profile, your sync speed is 3.3% more than this. You can't get the SNR without hacking the modem (which is easy to do for the Huwaei model).

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 25-May-12 10:02:30
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Just looked and its branded Huwaei on the base of it, do you know of a full proof guide? Its only been installed an hour so I don't want to be randomly rebooting it encase the DSLAM goes mental.

I've run the BT speedtest and my profile is 38mbit, various other speedtests are giving me between 32 - 35mbit 'real life' speed. The BT wholesale checker says I can get 65mbit (when of course plusnet allow it) so I thought my speeds might be closer to 40mbit, or is this normal?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-May-12 10:13:51
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4123193-ftt...
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Fri 25-May-12 10:19:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by c0dec:
Just looked and its branded Huwaei on the base of it, do you know of a full proof guide? Its only been installed an hour so I don't want to be randomly rebooting it encase the DSLAM goes mental.

I've run the BT speedtest and my profile is 38mbit, various other speedtests are giving me between 32 - 35mbit 'real life' speed. The BT wholesale checker says I can get 65mbit (when of course plusnet allow it) so I thought my speeds might be closer to 40mbit, or is this normal?

Someone else has just posted the link to the instructions and I've just checked that the firmware images are present (they were missing for a while). Assuming your profile is really 38.72, not 38, that all sounds pretty normal, you ought to be able to get speed test results of around 37.5 from speedtest.net (though it might depend which server you use) or this one.

Edit: What does this say for "Current line speed"? If it says 20Mb you're laughing, anything else and it may be restricting your speed.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Fri 25-May-12 10:22:54)

Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 25-May-12 10:23:59
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Im only getting around 32mbit at present, I can't run another bt speed test to check my profile atm as ive already run one under an hour ago, ill post back what it says when I can run it again.
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 10:46:49
Print Post

If you just got it installed then now is the best time to do it.

DLM basically ignores anything you do on the first day, unless it's really really really bad.

Disconnects and messing about on the second day and after can affect and reduce the speeds you get going forwards.
  Print Thread

Jump to