General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-May-12 10:13:24
Print Post

Roadworks cancelled :-(

[link to this post]

So OpenReach have cancelled the roadworks described on roadworks.org for NGA cabinet at my PCP frown

Another 6 months waiting I guess. frown

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (due Mar 2011) at THFB PCP 5
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 25-May-12 13:26:52
Print Post

Re: Roadworks cancelled :-(

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Seems to be happening to a few cabinets round our way, they get scheduled, then nothing happens.

Standard User zag164
(newbie) Sat 26-May-12 01:02:07
Print Post

Re: Roadworks cancelled :-(

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I sympathise it can take a while. Our cabinet is just in the last stages of being installed. It was June last year that OR first appeared on the scene surveying the ducts.

The first attempt to install the cabinet in September was aborted due to a high power cable running up the road being within 3m of the planned location which the contractors told me is a no no. They came back around end of November to try again 15m further up the road. Perhaps unsurprisingly they hit the same issue and again the install was aborted.

They then came back end of March and installed the cabinet on the opposite side of the road.

Each time the installation is aborted I understand it goes back to the planners so there is some inevitable time delay. It is not so much the delay but the uncertainty that bothered me. After the first attempt I had no idea if they would come back or just give up and move on. Same again after the 2nd attempt.

It is worth keeping an eye on the local planning website. If they are planning to try another nearby location for the fibre PCP you may see a Planning Scoping Opinion lodged. OR only need planning permission in certain circumstances and this is just a notification of their intent rather than a planning application. This happened both times above. These also have a target date which was within about 4 weeks of the actual installs.

Here we are on long lines so there is a strong business case for the service but I wonder if that is always the case. Does anyone know of any instances where OR have simply given up on a Fibre PCP installation and not come back?

Anyhow best of luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to