General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tdjohn
(learned) Fri 25-May-12 12:53:21
Print Post

Fibre Hopes Dashed

[link to this post]

Just been chatting to Zen about the new cabinet we've recently had installed round the corner... they say because we are 1k away it won't get enabled for our property because we won't get 12 Mbps from it and that is the minimum they will allow people to connect with.

Can anyone confirm - makes no sense to me because there are not many houses within 1km of that particular cabinet, and surly the goal is to get as many people as possible over the 2 Mbps mark on Cameron's initiative?

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-May-12 12:57:15
Print Post

Re: Fibre Hopes Dashed

[re: tdjohn] [link to this post]

Try a different ISP
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 13:01:41
Print Post

BT do offer service at lower speeds on FTTC, as do ADSL24 (IIRC).

Course how 1km being "just around the corner" is a bit unusual

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tdjohn
(learned) Fri 25-May-12 13:03:51
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

When you live in the middle of nowhere and need a car to go anywhere, then anything within a mile is just around the corner!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User aquiss
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-May-12 13:07:32
Print Post

A few of us accept orders for expected sync as low at 5Mbps, ourselves included wink

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
(free activation or migration + 2 months free)
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 25-May-12 13:23:34
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

If expected speed is better than ADSL then I can't see why some ISP's won't allow it, as long as the customer is aware of the expected speed what's the problem.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Fri 25-May-12 14:19:37
Print Post

BT do a sub 15 mbps product, might be worth a shot. Also some smaller resellers offer it too.
Standard User tdjohn
(learned) Fri 25-May-12 15:12:52
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Agreed - that was the point I made. I go the impression it was a BT decision, not the ISP. Probably wrong - don't truly understand how all the reselling works.

I will try some of the smaller resellers - including those responding to this post. Just need to make sure it's someone that has a support line that is answered by people that don't think the solution to all problems is to clear your cookies and browser cache.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 25-May-12 15:23:23
Print Post

At 1km you could - on an ideal line still get 40Mbps or maybe 50Mbps although throw in noise, cross talk, a joint or two and that will drop but you should still get a reasonably high speed.

Try BT directly for their options and also some other ISPs can offer lower speed products too.

When you do get FTTC installed, please find out your sync and actual download speeds as it will be of benefit to others in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 15:53:17
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I was going to say the same thing.

A 1km line should be able to do 12mbps+ easily, even under bad conditions. I've seen a few 1.3km lines do 16-20mbps and BaldEagle has a faulty 830m-1km line that still manages 20+

This person has a 1.6km line that manages 22mbps peak, 19mbps stable. Others have even reported 32mb at >1600m.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 25-May-12 15:57:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to