General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukp
(member) Fri 25-May-12 20:39:19
Print Post

two pcps connected to one fttc cab

[link to this post]

Probably a stupid question, but can BT connect 2 seperate PCPs (they are about 15 metres apart) to one new fttc cabinet? BT for some reason decided not to enable 4 cabs in Chafford but today I have noticed some works by Carillion Telent on behalf of BT OR (or so the board attached to the works says).

There was a 3 panel BT manhole on the edge of the pavement where they have dug it all out revealing a huge duct. They seem to be replacing the panels with one with short metal poles sticking out, so I am hopeful this is them finally giving fttc to this part of Chafford.

So my question is can they enable 2 PCPs to one FTTC cabinet - cos I would hate to think this is for cabinet 10 and not 12 (my one).
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-May-12 21:03:44
Print Post

Re: two pcps connected to one fttc cab

[re: ukp] [link to this post]

Yes ... there is a limit to the tie cable length, iirc this is about 100 metres max.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-May-12 23:21:31
Print Post

Ignore the other answer, if they want enable adjacent cabinets, they provide two DSLAM cabs. Seen it on a few occasions now ..
Look at these two adjacent cabs off of Blackwater exchange. They both now have their own DSLAM cabinets.

Cab 6, and I can't remember the other one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-May-12 08:52:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukp:
BT for some reason decided not to enable 4 cabs

Not uncommon (and often for no apparent reason).
A cab on the opposite end of the estate [to here] has not been enabled (not even a sign of a DSLAM cabinet appearing) and we've had FTTC since last August.
It's not in a conservation area. It's just a regular cab near a new(ish) road on a new(ish) housing estate on the edge of town.
The affected cab shouldn't serve too many businesses (just a few shops, an Indian restaurant, a pub, a couple of take-aways, a community centre, a primary school and a dentist - just the usual sort of new estate stuff) so BT clearly haven't deliberately missed it so as not to lose revenue from extremely expensive commercial fibre installations.
It's almost as if they've simply forgotten to do it.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Sat 26-May-12 08:52:14
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Ignore the other answer, if they want enable adjacent cabinets, they provide two DSLAM cabs. Seen it on a few occasions now ..
Look at these two adjacent cabs off of Blackwater exchange. They both now have their own DSLAM cabinets.

Cab 6, and I can't remember the other one.

I'm not sure if that's always the case - OR appears to have connected EALOW PCP 91 to the DSLAM next to PCP 59 which is around 140 metres away. I've seen engineers on separate occasions putting the tie cables in on both cabinets to the DSLAM?

Thankfully I'm connected to PCP 59 regardless, although nothing has been enabled yet, so I guess another cab could appear at some point - nothing on the elgin site for that location though.
Standard User ukp
(member) Sun 27-May-12 20:37:37
Print Post

Thanks for the replies. I think having taken a better look at what they were doing it has nothing to do with fibre. I took a couple of pics anyway and wondered if anyone could hazard a guess to what they might be doing anyway.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Vlvs3y4KocSDlyeml...
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Vlvs3y4KocOWx2Z3R...
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4Vlvs3y4KocSkVkMFZ...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 27-May-12 23:18:22
Print Post

http://www.codehot.co.uk/lyrics/abcd/bernardcribbins...

Pic 1 - a hole
Pic 2 - hole and notice
Pic 3 - notice.

tongue

Maybe a fault?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Print Thread

Jump to