General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 26-May-12 22:34:00
Print Post

Wow...advice anyone?

[link to this post]

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I didnt only want the opinions of only other BT Infinity users.

Hi, I'm at my wits end.

I was happy with my old FTTC ISP, good pings for gaming anytime, full 40mb torrent/http downloads at peak times, unlimited 8pm to 8am, was really happy for 12 months.

Bt started mass marketing a few months back, Infinity = great for gaming! Infinity 80/20!, Infinity! We have "managment" on p2p and as long as the local cab isn't swamped its okay within limits.So I checked the site! My 40/10 would go up to 57/20 even the bt.speed/line tester thingy said "max achievable speed 60/20"! Wooohooo! to good to be true! Right ? ..Right.....

When It was enabled I ran the btspeed/line test again to find the maxachivable speed had dropped to 40/20 and throughput was 40/10, pings to northern French servers jumped from 40 with my old ISP to 120 with Infinity....And this was day or night.
After 4 days of phonecalls more concerned about the latency than anything I finally convinced them to look at my line,
the next day two friendly bt men came, and spent 5 hours fiddling at the 3 man holes and cab. He said there will be a slight improvement but hes going to say a new line needs installing, to my house or the manhole he did not say, but he did say "how longs a bit of sting..." when I asked a time frame.

After this "Max achievable speed" shows 47, however on the 10 odd tests ive done, day or night the throughput down isn't going over 25 and up it isn't going above 7.
And now, the final straw, Ive just tried to download star trek online client, after all I cant play the ping essential game anymore with a ping of 120 most of the time, there distribution method? LEGAL torrent, and the speed is 40k/s 10pm.....

And all this, yet just a few weeks ago with my other FTTC isp not one single problem, same line, same cab, I do not understand how simply switching the pair from the old isp to bts has caused all this, and the clearly idiotic traffic management that caps torrents to 14k/s and still leaves poor pings out of peak hours really is the cherry on the cake!!!!

So excuse my rant, but im so mad, everything I moved for was not true and mis sold, everything I use my Internet for that worked no longer does for no logical reason, and im stuck for 18 months?

Blatant missselling or not, this has crippled my Internet connection - would ofcom help?

Is my only option to pay 470 odd quid to get out of it....they really did see me coming didn't they?
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-May-12 23:32:04
Print Post

Re: Wow...advice anyone?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

ouch! is all I can say...

I hate BT and even I had been tempted by the Infinity service, I guess I have to thank you for the reality check. Why are you not naming your old FTTC ISP? Were they much more expensive?

(member) Sun 27-May-12 03:02:55
Print Post

I'd be inclined to try and diagnose the actual problem.

Do a traceroute to various servers you have problems with. I see no reason for pings to be above 120 on Infinity. My experience is their traffic and congestion management are extremely good, and even under severe congestion my pings still stay below 20ms.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-May-12 08:00:07
Print Post

Well if you are not getting anywhere with bt(isp) then write them a formal letter ,complaining about and highlighting these problems, and adress it to the senior complaints manager or similar,
send recorded post, so you have proof of posting, and keep a copy of the letter as you may need it later ,
if they end up saying there is northing we can do to improve things then you make a complaint to their ADR they will contact them and ask them what if anything they intend to do, if they say nada again, then that is known as deadlock ,
their adr may advise them to release you from the remaining period penalty free, and also award you some compensation, providing you tell them at the time you make your complaint to them giving details of the amount you will be seeking , beats paying them for something that you aren't going to use ,

Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-May-12 08:17:17
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The CEO office respond quickly to complaints. I won't publish the CEO email but it is listed on http://www.ceoemail.com/

I emailed a complaint about an Openreach data problem stopping me ordering last Sunday afternoon and got a both a reply same day and a further reply to my answer to that. I've had two phone calls from the CEO office rep on the days she promised to call and an email from an Openreach complaints manager. The issue still isn't sorted but I do get the impression that it is genuinely being looked at as the emails were personal and not stock fob offs.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sun 27-May-12 18:26:37
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

I can second that, I emailed the CEO at 5pm on a Sunday, got a reply back two minutes later, following morning had a phone call from my ISP Plus Net, my brothers broadband was restored on the Thursday, and that was after two months without it.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sun 27-May-12 20:18:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

What is it with BT? When I had the misfortune of having to deal with them a couple of years ago on behalf of someone else, who had effectively been "slammed" by BT, I got absolutely nowhere through the official channels, lots of pointless toing and froing with India, until I emailed the CEO, when everything sprung into life, I had my own dedicated contact, lots of apologies and they fell over backwards to sort it out. This is a very expensive way to run a support operation.

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
Using OpenDNS
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-May-12 20:21:07
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

This is what you get when you outsource customer service. Generally poorer support. Unfortunately smart people in customer service are in short supply, possibly because the smarter ones know to avoid such [censored] work tongue.

(learned) Mon 28-May-12 09:23:37
Print Post

[re: LeJimster] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice guys.

To be fair im currently downloading STO at 35mb.

But its still not what it was, and certainly not was I was told to expect.

Ive emailed the CEO,

My old isp was Aquiss, id highly recommend them.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-May-12 10:06:41
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

VM do pretty much the same sort of thing. They too have abysmal offshore support and since closing down Liverpool Dock virtually all of their support is offshore.

I can't actually say from personal experience that VM standard support is poor as I've avoided using it - all my dealings with them have been through their forum (for connection voltage level issues), retentions for upgrade and later downgrade, and CEO office when I finally got the wretched Superhub swapped out for the VMNG300 modem it superseded.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to