General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 21:08:19
Print Post

FTTC install - Huawei modem - IP address clash etc?

[link to this post]

I've ordered an 80/20 FTTC install for early June (ISP = Goscomb). I have been doing some thinking in advance and have four questions I've love to have some insight on.

I'm OK with most aspects of home networking and would certainly like to unlock and monitor the Openreach modem if possible. I intend to offer up the modem to the EWAN port on my existing Billion 7800n, which currently has a local IPv4 address of 192.168.1.1

These are my questions:

1) I have obtained instructions and firmware for reflashing the HG612. Is it as simple as it appears? Aren't there any Openreach settings which I don't know and can't retain during the firmware upgrade? Does the modem 'just work' again after unlocking?

2) I intend to give the FTTC a week (10 days?) to settle once installed before looking at accessing the modem. Will I have any problems with IP conflicts? I see the HG612 has a default address of 192.168.1.1, and I have already assigned that to my existing ADSL router (Billion 7800n). Will I need to change the address of the Billion, even if I don't access the modem?

3) I realise I may get the ECI modem rather than the Huawei, depending on the cabinet equipment. Is there any way to tell in advance which modem I might get?

4) Does the HG612 'do' IPv6?

Thanks for any responses!
Standard User greenglide
(member) Tue 29-May-12 21:41:28
Print Post

Re: FTTC install - Huawei modem - IP address clash etc?

[re: oxygendebt] [link to this post]

Yes - it is as easy as the instructions say! Dont even need to have it connected to the VDSL line. The only pre-requisite is that the computer accessing the LAN port MUST be 192.168.1.100. The BT defaults are retained.

I am not sure about changing the IP address of the Huwae but the GUI is such that it is probably possible.

It seems to be luck of the draw which you get although it seems that the selection, in theory, depends on the make of the CAB but either will work. I obtained a brand new Huwaei version 3b off ebay while waiting for my exchange to be enabled.

The Huwaei is acting as a modem - it is the router that would have to do IPv6 but the ISP would have to as well.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 21:54:54
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

OK, many thanks for replying.

I already connect with IPv6 using my existing ISP and router.

I'd already looked on ebay for a modem to play with. Nothing much available at the moment, unfortunately.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Tue 29-May-12 23:02:17
Print Post

3) I realise I may get the ECI modem rather than the Huawei, depending on the cabinet equipment. Is there any way to tell in advance which modem I might get?
You can find the answer to that question by locating the PCP through which your line is connected and examining its FTTC twin.

If you are still uncertain, take a photograph of the FTTC and post a link to the image here. One of us should then be able to identify it as either Huawei or ECI. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User oxygendebt
(newbie) Tue 29-May-12 23:08:28
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

OK good stuff I will have a look at the new cab in the morning. I know exactly which PCP and where.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 29-May-12 23:16:30
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Yes - it is as easy as the instructions say! Dont even need to have it connected to the VDSL line. The only pre-requisite is that the computer accessing the LAN port MUST be 192.168.1.100. The BT defaults are retained.

Absolute total RUBBISH.

If you are going to make statements like that then make sure they are correct rather than trying to mislead people.

And yes I do know what I am talking about, my local IP is nothing like that and I can access my Huawei modem without any problems whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 29-May-12 23:19:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Correct, as long as the PC is set up with an IP in the 192.168.1.x you can access the 192.168.1.1 modem IP to unlock. Don't know why MHC states it must be .100 ?

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Tue 29-May-12 23:23:24
Print Post

Basically ignore your Billion to start with. plug direct in to LAN port 2 on the Openreach modem and follow the unlock procedures. Then access the modem at 192.168.1.1, go in to LAN settings and change the IP to something like 192.168.1.250

Then, plug a cable between LAN 1 on the modem to your WAN port on the Billion and have the Billion connect using PPPoE, and also plug a cable in between LAN 2 on the modem to any LAN port on the Billion (or a switch) and then you can access the modem on 192.168.1.250 and it wont affect your Billion at 192.168.1.1

Thanks

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-May-12 01:27:00
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Just to add agreement there James.

I did follow the asbokid instructions originally, but thought the .100 was probably just a way of trying to avoid any conflicts anywhere.

For a bit of fun when deciding to revert to my Buffalo router, which defaults to 192.168.11.1, I now have the Huawei modem set to 192.168.11.101. (Rather than changing the Buffalo address).

The modem is accessed wired from the machine that was used to unlock it, and wirelessly from this machine.

Also, as you know but the others reading may not, once unlocked it is perfectly possible to use it as a 2-port router. No wireless of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User think26872
(committed) Wed 30-May-12 17:31:06
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Does this mean if your router defaults to an IP of 192.168.1.1 you are better changing it before getting fibre? i.e. either the BT provided modems have an IP of 192.168.1.1 so your router and its DHCP range must not include 192.168.1.1?

TIA
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to