HI guys (and ladies),
I've just ordered Infinity 2 last night to get rid of my currently poor ADSL line. The current line is at least a mile long - Sam Knows puts the direct distance as 1.5km but the FTTC cabinet is a lot closer - 350-400 yards as it is near the entrance of the estate.
The line is quite poor for ADSL, even from the test socket. I've tried quiet line tests from the test socket with a wired analogue handset and I can't hear and noise or crackling.
Last night when I placed the order I was synced at a mighty 406kbs downstream
DMT Snapshot 406kbs
Normally I get between 1-1.5Mb but normally if it sync higher the packet loss and errors are horrendous.
Interestingly after tweaking in DMT I got it synced at 2.8Meg and it seemed stable.
The BT Wholesale checker gives the following:
For Telephone Number 0191385xxxx on Exchange FENCEHOUSES
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 57.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
The PCP spreadsheet gives a uplift figure of 8.69 which doesn't seem to match with the BT estimates.
My query is whether to try and book out a voice fault to get them to check the line and risk the engineer charge or should I jiust wait and hope the poor part of the line somewhere exsting route between the current cabinet and the exchange?
Sorry for the length of the post but I thought it would be best to put as much info as possible.