General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 09:29:40
Print Post

Interleaving questions

[link to this post]

Morning, had FTTC installed last week and had a lovely ping of 9ms whilst playing BF3, pinging Plusnet DNS servers or bbc.co.uk, these has now increased to 18/19ms. whilst this doesnít sound a lot its still double was it previously was and being an avid gamer the lower I can get it the better, I had 13ms on my old 5mbit ADSL! frown Speeds havenít changed as im still consistently getting just over 70mbit down and 17mbit up, from what ive read interleaving cannot be manually changed on FTTC so how do I go about getting the DSLAM to turn it back off now that it looks to have been turned on?

Many thanks,
Dan

Edited by c0dec (Fri 01-Jun-12 09:50:19)

Standard User Titan_ADSL
(committed) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:07:54
Print Post

Re: Interleaving questions

[re: c0dec] [link to this post]

Raise a ticket with your supplier and get them to look into this.
As you suspect it may have been turned on somehow.

TitanADSL
Call 01332 412 180
Unlimited Broadband upto 24 Mbs, Phone & Broadband bundles upto 24Mbs, Fibre Broadband upto 40Mbs - Get a FREE 0844 number visit
www.titan-adsl.co.uk
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:20:07
Print Post

[re: Titan_ADSL] [link to this post]

I was under the impression that they can't do anything about it, am I incorrect?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Jun-12 10:27:11
Print Post

I think the ISP can request different default levels of interleave when the service is installed (none, some or full aka "Normal", "Stable", "Super Stable") but if the DLM decides to increase it because of line conditions then it's hard luck.

OTOH, if the change is due to an unusual period of (eg) high noise then it will change back in time... but it can take a week or two.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:01:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I have had to reboot the fibre modem a couple of times and ive noticed my IP has changed so I assume it must have dropped and reconnected at somepoint as well. If the line is stable for a couple of weeks will this change be dymanic or will a modem reboot need to happen?

Edited by c0dec (Fri 01-Jun-12 11:02:03)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:09:59
Print Post

When it happened to me some time ago it changed on its own (initiating a reconnect with a new IPv6 address, my IPv4 is static), but whether that always applies is something I couldn't tell you.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:24:16
Print Post

Thanks for the info, very useful. Ill contact my ISP and see if there is anything they can do as having a higher ping on 73mbit FTTC than 5mbit ADSL is some what annoying smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:27:50
Print Post

I think you're asking rather a lot- many gamers would kill for a sub-20mSec ping tongue

But there's nothing to be lost by trying, so good luck smile

Bill
Standard User c0dec
(member) Fri 01-Jun-12 11:35:20
Print Post

I suppose I am but never the less I was getting a lower ping on a 5mbit ADSL product that I currently am tongue

Cheers Bill
  Print Thread

Jump to