General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Moradin
(member) Sun 03-Jun-12 11:41:51
Print Post

BT Infinity, past 80mb

[link to this post]

Does anyone know if BT have ever hinted at removing the 80mb cap, for people that are close to the cabinet.

I believe people that are sitting on top of the cabinet could potentially get 120-130mb ????

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Jun-12 11:56:20
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity, past 80mb

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

What modem would they use?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User adman45
(newbie) Sun 03-Jun-12 12:00:07
Print Post

Don't know about the removal of the cap.
I had fttc installed on friday, very pleasant open reach engineer. When he saw i was interested he showed me all the readings etc on the test equipment. I'm about 100-150m from the cabinet. he said i had a good line and showed me on his device that the line max sync was 129Meg.

Its hard to advertise a product which so few people would get, as too many would be disapointed. it would be an ASA nightmare.
i suppose they could advertise an above 80meg, for those already achieving the full 78meg
speed.

He also told me that my cabinet was filling up quite quickly, so there is clearly demand .

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 03-Jun-12 12:12:03
Print Post

Given that Openreach will be offering FTTP on demand from 2013 in FTTC areas I suppose that they won't be too bothered about dropping the 80meg cap, if people want faster speeds they can go that route.

Also I have seen on forums lots of complaints from people who didn't get the full 80meg from infinity 2 and comments like "I pay for 80 meg I should get 80 meg"

last week I saw 1 person complain that their 42 meg line had dropped to 37 meg (due to problems outside the BT network) and went on a huuuge hissy fit about how it wasn't good enough and when Be offered FTTC we would be back with them like a shot.

They even claimed that they could "see" the difference in web pages loading.

As said above can you image the problems from the vocal minority that would kick up if any uncapped product didn't meet their unrealistic expectations.
Standard User Moradin
(member) Sun 03-Jun-12 13:47:16
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It would actually make very good business sense.

just offer to remove the cap for anyone that wants it, for an extra £5 a month.

loads of people who just want max speed would take it up. bear in mind their infrastructure and backhaul is going to need to support 300mb speeds of fttc, its an easy cash cow.

no need to offer xxx speed either.. just offer to remove the cap for £5 quid a month. and if you dont like it, you can revert back the next month.

ofc. BT have very limited good business sense smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User asbokid
(member) Sun 03-Jun-12 16:09:25
Print Post

Hello!

The subscriber linecards (H831VDSH) which Openreach is currently installing in the Huawei SmartAX MA5616 DSLAMs are limited to Profile 17a (up to 100Mbps downstream) [1]

Huawei does make a Profile 30a linecard (up to 200Mbps downstream) but it has a much lower port density, currently supporting just 16 subscriber lines instead of the 48 ports provided by today's Profile 17a linecards.

Also it is not permitted to mix Profile 17a and Profile 30a linecards in the same DSLAM. All linecards have to be the same Profile, because of problems from crosstalk and limitations with the DSLAM controller board (the H831CCUC).

In theory, if Openreach was to offer a Profile 30a service (up to 200Mbps downstream), it would require four times the current concentration of street cabinets. So Profile 30a is probably only viable where take-up will be high, e.g. in very affluent areas like Kensington & Chelsea.

cheers, a

[1] http://enterprise.huawei.com/ilink/cnenterprise/down...
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 03-Jun-12 18:43:04
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
Hello! it would require four times the current concentration of street cabinets. So Profile 30a is probably only viable where take-up will be high, e.g. in very affluent areas like Kensington & Chelsea.

If only !

Dear K&C council,

As you recently refused us permission to install 96 cabinets we have reconsidered the options and would like to offer K&C residents the highest possible speeds available. We have redesigned the local network and will be submitting our plans for just 400 cabinets to be installed.

Rgds

BT Openreach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Sun 03-Jun-12 18:58:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Given that Openreach will be offering FTTP on demand from 2013 in FTTC areas I suppose that they won't be too bothered about dropping the 80meg cap, if people want faster speeds they can go that route.

Also I have seen on forums lots of complaints from people who didn't get the full 80meg from infinity 2 and comments like "I pay for 80 meg I should get 80 meg"

last week I saw 1 person complain that their 42 meg line had dropped to 37 meg (due to problems outside the BT network) and went on a huuuge hissy fit about how it wasn't good enough and when Be offered FTTC we would be back with them like a shot.

They even claimed that they could "see" the difference in web pages loading.

As said above can you image the problems from the vocal minority that would kick up if any uncapped product didn't meet their unrealistic expectations.

I love your quoted example, 42Mb -> 37Mb is a 12% decrease in speed... My line goes from 5Mb -> 3Mb (variation of 40%) depending on if it's raining, I should obviously throw more hissy fits wink Before anyone comments I know there are those still on around 1Mb, so I should be thankful for what I have!

TG582n + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
on BE Home 24Mb
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Moradin
(member) Sun 03-Jun-12 19:27:27
Print Post

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

The subscriber linecards (H831VDSH) which Openreach is currently installing in the Huawei SmartAX MA5616 DSLAMs are limited to Profile 17a (up to 100Mbps downstream) [1]

Aha,. i see....

Well, still a wise business move to offer it, if the kit supports it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 03-Jun-12 22:56:32
Print Post

Are you paid more than the guys who plan BT's marketing? If not, why not? tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to