General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mbdcs
(newbie) Thu 07-Jun-12 18:06:48
Print Post

No FTTC near the exchange

[link to this post]

Is it possible for premises to be wired directly to the exchange and not via a cabinet? If that is the case, does that mean that FTTC isn't an option?

Reason that I ask is that my local exchange (WWLOST) is FTTC enabled, but it seems that premises near to the exchange are not able to get FTTC, but ones further out are. There is no 21CN, so the fastest speed these can get is 8MB. Seems a bit backwards if this is right.

Or does it mean that there is a cabinet near to the exchange that serves these premises and hasn't had FTTC installed? Or possibly that the ones near the exchange are likely to get FTTP in the near future? If so, is there anywhere to get an estimated date for this?
ISP Representative Adsl24
(isp) Thu 07-Jun-12 18:43:08
Print Post

Re: No FTTC near the exchange

[re: mbdcs] [link to this post]

Yes, this is normal. Up to 20% of lines are exchange lines, meaning they go back to the exchange without being fed through a cabinet. Normally this makes no difference for phone and ADSL services, but of course for FTTC, it means that FTTC cannot be provided, because there is no cabinet involved.

Due to restrictions it is not currently possible to offer FTTC direct from the exchange instead of a cabinet. You could of course be fed from a cabinet but one that is not being upgraded. Openreach survey every single cabinet to see if it both commercially and technically viable to offer FTTC, so if its not going to provide enough return to their investment they will not enable it.

Most lines that are close to the exchange are not deemed as viable as those further away because customers are already able to receive a decent speed as they will be on a short line.

PM me your postcode and I will find out your situation.

James

James
Technical Director, ADSL24

We supply ADSL, ADSL2+, LLU and FTTC VDSL2 services as well as cheap line rental and bundle deals!
Visit our website for the latest offers.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Thu 07-Jun-12 19:31:29
Print Post

[re: mbdcs] [link to this post]

News Item from the front page of the this site, their are plans by Openreach to upgrade exchange only lines, if you are on a EO line.

Update 1:30pm: We asked Openreach about the issue of Exchange Only lines back in April 2012, and received a response regarding those lines or groups of lines run directly from the exchange, which is usually those closest to the exchange or new estates located further from the exchange. Openreach has said that where technically and economically feasible they will provide either a FTTC (via new cabinet) or FTTP service, this is done on a case-by-case basis as the roll-outs progress. We believe pressure to hit the 66% figure as soon as possible, means these areas will mainly be waiting until 2014, or for the various BDUK projects to start producing results.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 17:25:43
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I live in lostwithiel (up scrations lane), and am suffering the same fate...

G
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:19:49
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Well since your exchange is in Cornwall you should likely get FTTP as the project will have one of the most areas with FTTP, or Openreach may install a FTTC cab, have to wait and see.

It could be worth contacting the Superfast Cornwall site as they may be able to give you a update or eta when you can see a improved service.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to