General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 07-Jun-12 23:53:17
Print Post

FTTC when?

[link to this post]

According to BT Openreach orders are being accepted for fibre broadband from my local exchange (Hertford), yet when I contact my ISP (Plusnet), they say it's not yet available.

So what does "accepting orders" mean exactly? No doubt FTTC will be available soon in my area but I am curious about the apparent conflict of info.
Standard User Titan_ADSL
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:36:45
Print Post

Re: FTTC when?

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

They are most likely accepting pre-orders ready for when it does become available or pre-registering your interest when your area does go live.

TitanADSL
Call 01332 412 180
Unlimited Broadband upto 24 Mbs, Phone & Broadband bundles upto 24Mbs, Fibre Broadband upto 40Mbs - Get a FREE 0844 number visit
www.titan-adsl.co.uk
Standard User kitcat
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 09:27:25
Print Post

Jo
Accepting orders means that 'some' cabinets on Hertford exchange are enabled and can have orders placed on them.
Conversely other cabinets may not have had FTTC provided yet and lines served by these cannot have orders placed.

If you use your telephone number in the BT checker it should tell you if your line has FTTC available on it.

Some lines served direct from the exchange will not have FTTC provided, as there is no cabinet.

There is a list from Dec 2011 that showed plans for each postcode and cabinet. If you post your postcode and ask on here, someone with access to it may be able to tell whether you are on a cabinet and when it is likely to be enabled.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 09:28:15
Print Post

The announcement that the exchange has gone live doesnt mean that ALL CABs have.

The CABs seem to be opened up gradually - presumably to manage the numbers of installs to be done as well as completing the CAB installation, fibre installation etc.

It certainly isnt a case that a switch is thrown and a whole exchange has FTTC!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 09:29:38
Print Post

What is your postcode please? We can get more detail from elsewhere using that.

Also did you read the first three paragraphs/notes on the OR page?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 08-Jun-12 09:30:11)

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 08-Jun-12 14:27:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What is your postcode please? We can get more detail from elsewhere using that.
It's SG14 3JW

Also did you read the first three paragraphs/notes on the OR page?

Yes, looked like a standard disclaimer
Standard User Moradin
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 17:48:31
Print Post

EAHTF HERTFORD SG143JW {EAHTF}{P33} 0 100% 6.33 8a Yes FTTC

So your connected to CAB 33, all lines from your postcode connect to it, and its on the list.

Your exchange is accepting orders, so your cab is either done, or due very very soon.

-----------------------------------------------
December PCP to postcode checker
https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapi...
My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 19:07:06
Print Post

Bt's Wholesale DB hasn't been updated with the 07/06 tweeted exchanges yet.

try again monday/tuesday and ya'll likely see a different result smile

from my own experince btw, phoned Bt to order and was given the above reason, DB's aren't updated yet, they are once a week likely monday/tuesday as thats when they are normaly Tweeting new exchanges go live, but the queens party put a hammer in the works for this week smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 19:30:10
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My exchange "started accepting orders" yesterday according to the Openreach twitter feed, if I check my cab it gives me the June 30th date but if I check a couple of the other cabs around town (all far from each other) it says it's available.

Basically:
One friend can get it who lives quite a bit away can get it.
One other friend who lives nowhere near either of us can't get it.
I can't get it.
I checked two other cabs which are again spread out (nowhere near each other) and they can get it.

So I'm not sure what you've been told is true (I hope it is though).
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:32:51
Print Post

Cabs go online in batches, so the first lot will be active with the exchange going live and others will follow.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:56:49
Print Post

[re: Moradin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Moradin:
EAHTF HERTFORD SG143JW {EAHTF}{P33} 0 100% 6.33 8a Yes FTTC

So your connected to CAB 33, all lines from your postcode connect to it, and its on the list.

Your exchange is accepting orders, so your cab is either done, or due very very soon.
Thanks very much for the info smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 22:06:08
Print Post

my exchange was also tweeted, and shows as accepting orders on Open Reach Where and when map.

but not on Samknows.com, or any of the ~20 or so post codes i've tried for it via BT's checker.

can't say for your exchange, but i'm willing to bet i'll be able to order early next week, my Cabinet has been there for months, and has all the work required for it go live done smile

reason i mention samknows is, they get data from bt - if they can't see it's not available for some, bt/other isp's prob can't either wink
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Mon 23-Jul-12 00:34:36
Print Post

I think I've found out when my exchange will be FTTC - end of September 2012 apparently - by using the postcode checker on the BT adsl checker web site
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Jul-12 22:39:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by joconnell:
I think I've found out when my exchange will be FTTC - end of September 2012 apparently - by using the postcode checker on the BT adsl checker web site
Quarter end dates are notoriously unreliable. It just means sometime. Highly likely to slip by 3 or 6 months during the last week of the quarter. You wil find many people here where that has happened repeatedly, over a year or more.

Idiotically, it can also slip like that, then come back in the first week of the next quarter with live or in a couple of days. crazy. Just don't get your hopes too high, or tell the kids (if you have any) it's due then.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Tue 24-Jul-12 13:31:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just don't get your hopes too high, or tell the kids (if you have any) it's due then.

Sage advice. I'm not desperate for FTTC, the biggest difference it'll make to my online life is that I'll be making more use of online storage services and on-line photo albums than I do now, and it'd be nice to be able to surf/DL whilst watching content on iPlayer on the Smart TV
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to