General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:40:53
Print Post

VDSL signal over phone extension?

[link to this post]

The question in my mind is, is it possible to plug in the BT modem into an extension and get the VDSL signal? I presume the answer is no, but thought I'd check as it would simplify my life considerably if I could do this.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:45:56
Print Post

Re: VDSL signal over phone extension?

[re: herbgold] [link to this post]

The Openreach engineer will fit a new master socket which filters the VDSL2 signal from the phone extensions. The modem will be plugged into the master.

However, there's no reason why you can't rearrange it so the signal remains on the extensions and is filtered by micro filters just like ADSL - as long as the micro filters are up to it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:46:52
Print Post

Assuming that there is a full filter and faceplate installed at the master then the answer is NO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:51:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

"However, there's no reason why you can't rearrange it " - is there any guidance on how to do this?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:55:33
Print Post

Not that I know of

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jun-12 10:13:48
Print Post

I think the best advice is to get the tea and biscuits ready and and ask really really nicely when the engineer comes to move the master socket to where you want it to go.

Otherwise you may have to have the wiring extention kit installed and leave the modem where the master is now.

How would the extention be better as they may be another solution that can be used if OR engineer isn't feeling helpful.
Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:22:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The engineer has been (on Wednesday) and he wasn't particularly helpful - so I'm left with four possible solutions:

1. Run a LAN cable between the router and the study where everything else lives (possible but not very domestically acceptable)
2. Fiddle about with phone socket wiring (sounds dodgy even if it works)
3. Use home plugs using the mains wiring as LAN cable, which is what I'm doing at the moment (works very well but disappointingly slow - I get speedtest of 71.3Mbps down at the router but only about 20 at the far end of the homeplugs, even though they're supposedly rated at 500Mbps - here - http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-500av-index.htm
4. Go wifi, which is what I've decided to do, using this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL...
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:31:52
Print Post

Leave the Modem by the master and then run a Cat5e cable to the router in the study.

As the link only needs to be 80Mbps you could run a 2 pair Cat5e cable with RJ45 connectors and that can be easily hiddden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User herbgold
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 14:10:18
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks - that's what we'll do when we get new carpet - planned for next year. In the mean time I'll give the wifi card a go.
  Print Thread

Jump to