General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Aaron_01
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 13:57:40
Print Post

Does exchange need to be FTTC enabled first? (line checker)

[link to this post]

My exchange SDHLSHM is getting FTTC enabled end of June, does this mean the phone number check at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome will not say whether I can get FTTC or not until after 30th June? BT Infinity website is also the same.

I can't find out by postcode as BN27 4AF isn't listed in the spreadsheets, but it's a new estate area with brand new cabinet.

Anyway I'm not sure I can trust the details on the dslchecker right now. We had phone & broadband activated but it was immediately a line fault still yet to be resolved, the checker started by reporting a possible 6Mbps ADSL2 speed (by postcode check), then once we had our number it reported 256Kbps, then 9Mbps, and now it's reporting 15Mbps which is impossible at a distance of 3-4km.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Aaron_01 (Fri 08-Jun-12 13:58:55)

Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 08-Jun-12 18:56:12
Print Post

Re: Does exchange need to be FTTC enabled first? (line check

[re: Aaron_01] [link to this post]

You need to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait until a) there is a new cab next to an exsisting one and b) the checker says you CAN get FTTC. this may be sometime from the end of june 2012 to the end of june 2013

IanD
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-12 19:25:33
Print Post

As your estate is a new build its very likely that when the openreach survey team came around your area it was not included on the FTTC rollout.
New build estates are sometimes connected when OR return to infill a area, i would get in contact with the home provider and ask them about the possiblity of FTTC for the estate, as they will have direct contact with OR.

This is likely your cabinet- does it have a FTTC twin next to it?

http://goo.gl/maps/KKpn

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Aaron_01
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 21:49:12
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Yes that is the cabinet, I'm only about 70 meters away from it. It still looks like that today, is an "FTTC twin" another same size cabinet sitting alongside it?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User arfster
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jun-12 22:07:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Aaron_01:
My exchange SDHLSHM is getting FTTC enabled end of June, does this mean the phone number check at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome will not say whether I can get FTTC or not until after 30th June? BT Infinity website is also the same.

The new build is probably futzing things up, but it's not necessary for an exchange to be ready for the checker to give you answers. My exchange is due to be enabled at the end of the month, and it's been telling me this for a year maybe:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th June 2012"

Edited by arfster (Fri 08-Jun-12 22:08:20)

Standard User Aaron_01
(member) Fri 08-Jun-12 23:16:16
Print Post

[re: arfster] [link to this post]

Interesting...

I think maybe they haven't added WBC FTTC info to Hailsham's database. I popped a couple of telephone numbers from Google Maps of schools/businesses in the town area of Hailsham into the dslchecker and none of them say anything about FTTC

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-12 23:53:52
Print Post

A FTTC twin is either the Huawei128 or Huawei FTTC cab - 288 max

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

If their is not one of those cabinets next to it then you will not be able to get FTTC, what number is on the cabinet as some of the isp's have the June spreadsheet- (not been leaked yet), can say if ure cab is planned or not.

June is only a holding date, the exchange can easily move into the next 3 month holding slot, once a exchange goes live- usually 10 cabinets more will then follow on.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Fri 08-Jun-12 23:54:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 23:56:29
Print Post

Schools may be on leased lines and won't show up for FTTC. And business park type places mysteriously [cough] seem not to get FTTC.

The December data has 820 entries or so for Hailsham. An awful lot of postcodes not scheduled.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jun-12 23:58:01
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

smile
Also the ECI 128.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 09-Jun-12 00:08:44
Print Post

[re: arfster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by arfster:
My exchange is due to be enabled at the end of the month, and it's been telling me this for a year maybe:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th June 2012"

Our's is the opposite, FTTC cabinets been in since February, and no mention of FTTC when I check the BT Wholesale checker, so the Wholesale checker is not a reliable way to tell if your going to get FTTC until it actually says you can.

Print Thread

Jump to