General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Sun 10-Jun-12 11:09:24
Print Post

BT Infinity Install

[link to this post]

After over a year of delays, my FTTC is finally ready for service and a BT Engineer is coming around this coming Wednesday (13/06/2012).

According to the BT site, my estimated speeds are:

63.6Mb download
20.0Mb upload

Is there anything specific I should be asking the BT Engineer when he comes around? Would they be able to tell me approximately how far I'm away from the cabinet, when they carry out the install or can that measure only be done from the street cabinet?

My only other concern is whether I'll be able to get these estimated speeds, as I believe I have a mixture of copper/aluminium cable run to the local street cabinet.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Jun-12 12:06:41
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Install

[re: Icemansin] [link to this post]

Hopefully you won't be asking him why your appointment got cancelled, but you can ask him anything you like. He should be able to tell you the line length and the speeds he sees on his test gear, and he should leave you with one PC working and the phone working too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Jun-12 12:10:55
Print Post

Some of them test using a JDSU unit. That gives the connection speeds, average attenuation and noise margin, and approximate distance to the cabinet.

I'm not sure what the other tester(s) give(s). Not much I don't think.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-12 14:24:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
Is there anything specific I should be asking the BT Engineer when he comes around?

You have to ask him if he wants coffee or tea, and what type of biccies he would like.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Sun 10-Jun-12 15:12:39
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Do BT Engineers not get sick of drinking tea and putting on pounds because of all the biscuits they consumetongue

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jun-12 15:55:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Icemansin:
According to the BT site, my estimated speeds are:

63.6Mb download
20.0Mb upload

Is there anything specific I should be asking the BT Engineer when he comes around? Would they be able to tell me approximately how far I'm away from the cabinet, when they carry out the install or can that measure only be done from the street cabinet?

At the end of the day you will either get those speeds or you will not. Most people seem to get get slightly more than their estimate.

As for the distance from the cabinet I have never quite understood the fascination with this. You cannot alter the distance whether you know it or not.

Standard User adman45
(newbie) Sun 10-Jun-12 19:36:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

As I said in another thread. The open reach engineer i had ,was more than happy to discuss what he was doing. He had some device which showed lots of info, including max possible sync rate. It also bleeps and gives a fail reading if the line syncs lower than 15 meg.He commented that I had a good line.
Interstingly he said they can install below 15meg if the customer agrees. He told me about a customer who was on a long line who had could not get the internet but as his line now terminated at an FTTC box he was able to get 8meg and was apparently over the moon.
Standard User aramsay
(member) Sun 10-Jun-12 20:57:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Some of them test using a JDSU unit. That gives the connection speeds, average attenuation and noise margin, and approximate distance to the cabinet.

I'm not sure what the other tester(s) give(s). Not much I don't think.

The engineer that did my FTTC (non-Infinity) upgrade didn't have any test gear at all!

Replaced master socket with new FTTC one, plugged in the modem and called up a number on his phone, which he said would do the test; and he got a text back saying that it was OK.

A little disappointed that I didn't get to find out my line length to the cab frown

Alan
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-12 06:57:45
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:
As for the distance from the cabinet I have never quite understood the fascination with this. You cannot alter the distance whether you know it or not.

You can't alter it, but if for example you only achieve 30Mb for a distance of 400m, you know there will be a repairable "problem", despite the basic engineer tests possibly showing as LTOK.

OTOH, if you expect really high speeds, because you can see a cabinet from your window, but only get low speeds, knowing the actual distance COULD confirm you are actually connected to a different cabinet further away, therefore unfortunate, but not a reportable fault.
Standard User Icemansin
(member) Mon 11-Jun-12 08:17:13
Print Post

Hopefully all will go well and I get more than the estimated speeds. I will let you guys know how it went.

I was actually wondering whether I should try my luck and ask for a spare modem, so I can unlock one of them, but I will probably give it a go anyway.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to