General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User whosyagamer
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 20:54:10
Print Post

Info on converting Billion ADSL routers to full WAN router

[link to this post]

I have found this brilliant information on how to convert Billion 74xx routers to a full WAN router using telnet. It disconnects the RJ11 WAN port and then converts one of the RJ45 LAN ports as a WAN port. So then you can share NAT and get full use out of the router when connected to an Openreach router.

The important information is on page 5:-
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=9...

It would be good to know how easy this would be to configure it to FTTC products here when connected to an Openreach VDSL2 modem. As the information is from an Australian forum.

Edited by whosyagamer (Mon 11-Jun-12 20:56:16)

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 11-Jun-12 22:30:28
Print Post

Re: Info on converting Billion ADSL routers to full WAN rout

[re: whosyagamer] [link to this post]

A quick skim-read seems to suggest that it's expecting to be connected to a modem that's in bridge mode. That is to say that the modem has already handled authentication and will hand out the WAN IP address via DHCP.

I'm not sure whether the Billion can pass the authentication information to the BT Openreach modem using that configuration. Therefore that might well be a challenge to overcome! You could always speak to Billion support; they're trying to get their 7800 working with Sky's MER authentication, they might also be willing to help out with the 74xx series working at all with other Openreach products.
Standard User simon194
(regular) Tue 12-Jun-12 09:01:43
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
A quick skim-read seems to suggest that it's expecting to be connected to a modem that's in bridge mode. That is to say that the modem has already handled authentication and will hand out the WAN IP address via DHCP.

I'm not sure whether the Billion can pass the authentication information to the BT Openreach modem using that configuration. Therefore that might well be a challenge to overcome! You could always speak to Billion support; they're trying to get their 7800 working with Sky's MER authentication, they might also be willing to help out with the 74xx series working at all with other Openreach products.

Billion already have working "Sky" firmware for their 7800N router. The next on the list is the 8200N VDSL router which should have the beta firmware available by the end of this week or early next week.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 12-Jun-12 12:33:15
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I have a 7404VGP router and it is not on the Billion list below that is why I am looking into converting the RJ11 WAN port to a RJ45 WAN port.

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowle...

The ones with an EWAN port can be used to replace the BT Home Hub 2.

The 7800N is already on the list and can be used with Sky MER authentication as they updated the firmware.

Edited by whosyagamer (Tue 12-Jun-12 12:34:04)

(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 19:45:46
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Well I contacted Billion and the information they gave to me and confirmed unofficially is the original information that I gave in this link to convert the LAN port.

Here are the CLI commands needed for an ISP using a BT FTTC type connection (p1-4 vlanmember may have different hex values).

transports delete wanlink
port ethernet set p1vlanmember 0x7
port ethernet set p2vlanmember 0x7
port ethernet set p3vlanmember 0x7
port ethernet set p4vlanmember 0x8
port ethernet set vlan enabled
port ethernet set switchreset true
pppoe add transport wanlink dialout eth 1 ethernet1
pppoe set transport wanlink username <username>
pppoe set transport wanlink password <passwd>
ip attach ipwan wanlink
system config save
system restart

Replace the username and password with the one you get given.
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 15:23:53
Print Post

I can confirm this worked on the router as I have just had FTTC installed but you will be limited to using a 40/2 or 40/10 profile. As the WAN to LAN limits the data download speed to roughly 35mb/s and you get the full upload speed of about the same.

This will NOT work with an 80/20 profile so a newer router is required which is what I am going to have to do.
Standard User simon194
(member) Fri 22-Jun-12 16:46:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by whosyagamer:
I can confirm this worked on the router as I have just had FTTC installed but you will be limited to using a 40/2 or 40/10 profile. As the WAN to LAN limits the data download speed to roughly 35mb/s and you get the full upload speed of about the same.

This will NOT work with an 80/20 profile so a newer router is required which is what I am going to have to do.

Which router are we talking about here. If it's the 7800N, Billion have confirmed that it will support 80/20 with the latest firmware although there is a speed issue if QoS is used.
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 16:49:53
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

This information is originally for the 7404 series which are without a proper WAN or EWAN port on it. Then using telnet CLI commands to hack it and convert one of the LAN ports.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 22-Jun-12 16:51:08
Print Post

And you can't speed it up by turning off QoS as on the 7800N?

Users were complaining about initial figures for the 7800N of around this yet Billion have confirmed that it will route up the about 90Mb/s with QoS turned off.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
(newbie) Fri 22-Jun-12 16:55:20
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I have tried quite a few things on it and came across information about the QoS but have so far been unable to switch it off and solve the issue. Billion tech won't help anymore as I have been given an unofficial reply of how to make it work, but because what I am doing is not supported as I was using CLI commands.
  Print Thread

Jump to