General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JBrad
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 21:58:11
Print Post

New fibre install wiring question

[link to this post]

Hi,

After being on cable broadband/phone for many years Im now getting Sky fibre installed on the 28th June. My existing BT wiring is old and the master socket is in the wrong room.

Existing is as follows:

Black wire from pole enters attic where it runs for a few feet and is then terminated in white junction box (BT fitted) which connects to a very old grey wire that runs down into my hallway master socket.

I would like my master socket to be situated in my PC room. If i run a new wire between attic and PC room will the openreach engineer fit a new master socket and connect it at both ends?

I am unsure as to whether the drop wire should be extended in this way or is it better to have the master socket and modem in the attic?

If it is ok to extend the drop wire can anyone recommend which wire I should purchase for the job?

Thanks for any help.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Mon 11-Jun-12 22:15:23
Print Post

Re: New fibre install wiring question

[re: JBrad] [link to this post]

Personally I would have the master socket in the loft, it is then very easy to run your phone extensions from there and connect to the existing ones, and then a separate extension for your modem to where you require that.

You could run both data and phone in cat5e cable, use one twisted pair for the data and another twisted pair for the phone.

There's a bit of guide here http://phil.lavin.me.uk/2012/02/bts-uk-fttc-vdsl2-ex...

The data/modem cable should always be twisted pair.

Edit:You'll need a Krone tool for inserting the wires, you can get one here ( http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16... ) along with other bits you'll need. They also have some very useful guides.

Or if you want the simple life the engineer will usually install where required, I just like the greater flexibility.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 11-Jun-12 22:18:33)

Standard User JBrad
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 23:23:49
Print Post

Re: New fibre install wiring question

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks R0NSKI,

Will run some cat5e between attic & office, then im covered for all options smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to