General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheValk
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 10:26:00
Print Post

Re: Possible cause of very low profile

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
(2) Have you tested with a computer connected directly to the ECI modem? I.e. No router and just have the computer establish the PPPoE connection?

Yes, my ISP had me check that out. With a Windows 7 PC plugged directly into the LAN socket of the modem the BT test results are the same.

I did recently power off the modem, leave it for half hour and power it back on without anything plugged into the LAN. It ran through its light sequence and then stalled with the DSL light flashing constantly. Without being able to get at the modem log I can only assume this indicated a failure to sync at all. Another power cycle got it to come up but on plugging in the router the stats and test were the same.

So,really it seems my problem is this.

1) I had what appeared to be stable 28 Mbps connection day one which lasted at least a week or so when I got bored with the daily testing and gloating and stopped monitoring.

2) Sometime during the next two months my connection dropped by half to a constant 15 Mbps. This happened either suddenly or gradually.

3) The only clue as to the reason is the occasional (maybe weekly) failure of the router to establish a connection and the fix is a power cycle of the modem. There is no outward indication from the modem that there is a problem.

4) I cannot get the modem stats as BT, in their perverted wisdom, have locked out the modems.

Nothing has changed with the setup within the home.

My solutions seemed to be.

1) Wait and see if it spontaneously recovers. This happened once before with a poor ADSL2 throughput that BT claimed they could not diagnose.

2) Beg, borrow or steal a more useful modem. May even buy one.

3) Get BT Openreach to come out and run local diagnostics and be prepared to fork out 100 notes when they say, "no fault detected, the line is performing within spec".

Thanks to all who replied.

Couple of questions.
If the fault is external and it fixes itself, does the modem instantly sense this and re-sync at a higher rate or does it require a modem reboot to achieve this?

Has anyone any experience with this modem on BT FTTC?
Billion BiPAC 8200M VDSL2 Fibre Broadband Modem

Edited by TheValk (Thu 14-Jun-12 14:37:38)

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 14-Jun-12 17:34:08
Print Post

[re: TheValk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheValk:
I did recently power off the modem, leave it for half hour and power it back on without anything plugged into the LAN. It ran through its light sequence and then stalled with the DSL light flashing constantly. Without being able to get at the modem log I can only assume this indicated a failure to sync at all.
ACK. I can confirm that a flashing DSL LED signifies that the modem & DSLAM are still in training mode and sync has not been achieved.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User balami
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-12 22:22:35
Print Post

Hi,

I managed to acquire a spare modem which I have left with the standard firmware. I can see they are listed on the openreach price list at £26.00 ex VAT to the ISP, though no guarentee you wouldn't get another ECI.

I did ask my ISP Zen whether I could purchase a spare my argument being that BT would take 24hrs to replace a failed unit, but they couldn't provide one.

I know your neck of the woods well as I grew up in Swanton Morley, my parents are still there. if I aquire a further spare then I'll let you know.

I believe that if the fault clears you wont see an improvement until the line re-trains. The attainable rate reported by the modem (which you can't access) will improve as and when the line quality changes.

There should be no harm rebooting the modem every few days, best to do it during daylight hours when interference is lowest. If it is water related, just wait for the summer to start.

Regards,

Mark.

Regards,

Mark.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheValk
(learned) Fri 15-Jun-12 09:28:57
Print Post

[re: balami] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by balami:
I believe that if the fault clears you wont see an improvement until the line re-trains. The attainable rate reported by the modem (which you can't access) will improve as and when the line quality changes.

There should be no harm rebooting the modem every few days, best to do it during daylight hours when interference is lowest. If it is water related, just wait for the summer to start.

Thanks for that Mark.

I did try powering off the modem for an hour yesterday evening and then back on with the router unplugged. It sat there for half hour with only the power light lit.
In the end I plugged in the router and did a ten second power off/on and it recovered to its usual poor connection.

I will probably get the Billion Modem. A spare is always useful and it promises plug and pray connection. I was hoping someone had some experience of this modem but its seems not.

Local paper is running a story about a whole road in town down for days with water in the BT conduit so maybe when the deluge lifts, so might my sync.

Regards
Standard User TheValk
(learned) Sat 23-Jun-12 18:17:57
Print Post

Just to finish off this thread, Openreach were called in and found a short in the cable within the conduit about 15 Mtrs from the pole.

They rerouted the connection through a spare cable from the junction box to the pole and bingo, back on a (hopefully) stable 25 Mbps connection.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to