General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Wed 13-Jun-12 11:09:24
Print Post

Eversley/Finchampstead almost ready to go?

[link to this post]

My wife's elderly parents have endured snail speeds on ADSL from the year dot. The saga of delayed implementation of FTTC at the Eversely exchange are well documented. Imagine my surprise when I idly did an availability check on the BT site and it said FTTC would be available for them at the end of this month (June).

I have registered interest in FTTC on their behalf but no communication or acknowledgement so far. They are on Orange landline and ADSL at the moment - I'm assuming Orange don't offer any form of FTTC option, so I will have to move them back to BT (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Is there anything else I should be doing at this stage?

Thanks,

Ian

Edited by ifb_online (Wed 13-Jun-12 11:37:59)

Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 13-Jun-12 13:28:18
Print Post

Re: Eversley/Finchampstead almost ready to go?

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

Wait for FTTC to become available - what is the speed estimate given on the BT Checker?

Look for an FTTC provider that is most suitable. "Infinity" is merely the name of a product sold by BT retail, there are plenty of other suppliers although BT is extremely competitive for anyone who doesnt want PTP etc.

If you are not a member of one or more cashback sites, join the one that is offering the best deal at the time the order is placed. Ordering BB from BT online generated £55 for BB only and more for the BB and calls options.

You cannot stay on Orange phone with Infinity but as it is BT WLR you don't need to do anything to change over.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User blinky
(committed) Wed 13-Jun-12 17:59:19
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

BT tends to put placeholder dates in and the end of June was one of them. The placeholder dates are just rough estimates.

For me the placeholder date was originally the end of March but it slipped to the end of June. Fortunately for us our cabinet became live just over two weeks ago and the install is happening tomorrow.

Like your parents we suffer from poor speeds. We were typically getting 1-1.5Mb but on good days 2Mb was achievable and once I saw 3Mb. Recently the errors on the line built up and it's just over 0.25Mb frown

I would register interest and you'll get an email a couple of days after they are able to accept an order.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blinky
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-12 16:39:15
Print Post

[re: blinky] [link to this post]

Just a quick note. Our Infinity install was completed today and we have gone from 0.25Mb on ADSL to about 45-50Mb so there's hope for your parents
Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 18:05:18
Print Post

[re: blinky] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blinky:
Just a quick note. Our Infinity install was completed today and we have gone from 0.25Mb on ADSL to about 45-50Mb so there's hope for your parents

Great news. I was at their house (wife's parents, not mine smile) and it was about 350K down and 200K up on speedtest.net.

Ian
Standard User ifb_online
(learned) Thu 14-Jun-12 18:07:11
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Wait for FTTC to become available - what is the speed estimate given on the BT Checker?

Look for an FTTC provider that is most suitable. "Infinity" is merely the name of a product sold by BT retail, there are plenty of other suppliers although BT is extremely competitive for anyone who doesnt want PTP etc.

If you are not a member of one or more cashback sites, join the one that is offering the best deal at the time the order is placed. Ordering BB from BT online generated £55 for BB only and more for the BB and calls options.

You cannot stay on Orange phone with Infinity but as it is BT WLR you don't need to do anything to change over.

Thanks for the cashback tip. You have confirmed what I was thinking.

Ian
  Print Thread

Jump to