General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 20:44:53
Print Post

BT Infinity2 Interesting issue!

[link to this post]

Interesting one for you all. Please let me know what you think.

I called my phone line with infinity2 installed and let it ring(No Phone connected, just modem to faceplate).
vDSL modem goes direct to the new faceplate as installed by the BT OR, no extensions, or phone connected while testing.

I as hear it ring on the mobile, the attainable rate goes up by 6Mb and higher, and SNR by 3db+ from 5.7 to 8.6
When I stop ringing the line, it drops down again. However, if I plug in a phone into the socket, and answer the call, it drops by 3db or more along with speed by same amount. from 5.7 to below 4db.

Any ideas anyone?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:13:06
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity2 Interesting issue!

[re: phonic2k] [link to this post]

~ adsl only works when the phone is being used.

Check filters and internal wiring.
Check for noise on the line which may help identify the problem by doing a "quiet line test".
(Dial 17070 and select option 2).
If so - Possibly a fault on the actual phone line perhaps due to worn cables or water on the line.
There may be times when a cable or joint is only slightly damaged/corroded and shows no immediate problem, however the damage is sufficient to increase resistance on the line.
When the phone line is in use, it generates a small electrical current which is needed to carry the voice signal. This current helps reduce resistance on the line and can be sufficient to "bridge the gap" just enough to carry the adsl signal. This is known as a High Open or High Resistance Fault.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:44:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply BatBoy.

I can't check any wiring, as I only have the one master socket with the new faceplate. The only wires would be the ones going to the pole.

I did a line check yesterday, and did not notice anything that bad, a little noise maybe, but no beeps, or interference. I also did a line check on the BT website, and said all is fine.

It's interesting that if I call out on the same line with the infinity2 I see the attainable rate drop down, but if I ring the line it hits 76880 from 70580(SNR goes up my 3mb too). Maybe this is why my download speed has gone from 76 - 57.49 and upload speed from 17 to 12?

So this is a BT fault then?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:55:30
Print Post

Yes, it is.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Thu 14-Jun-12 22:02:14
Print Post

I recently had an almost identical issue.

Picking up the phone to dial out immediately lowered SNRM by 4Mb or so at first, then matters gradually got worse & simply picking up the phone caused disconnections.

Dialling in caused SNRM to rise again & temporarily "fixed" the issue for a few hours at a time.

Trying an old dangly ADSL filter in the test socket (VDSL2 faceplate completely removed) solved the problem, thus proving the faceplate itself was faulty.

The faceplate was replaced when the engineer visited & the connection has been stable ever since.

Do you have a dangly filter to try in the test socket to try to rule in/rule out the faceplate as the problem?

The filtered faceplate is part of the Openreach kit, so if that is actually the cause, you should NOT be charged for an engineer's visit to replace it.
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 22:16:07
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Hi Bald Eagle1, thanks fro your reply.

Yes, I had a new filter hanging around from BE Internet that sent extras to me same years ago. It made no difference at all.

However, the issue is that I tested without any phone connected at all, nothing but the modem, I get the same result by calling my phone line.
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 22:19:47
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Thanks BatBoy.

Can you tell me. If no phone is plugged into the socket(new infinity faceplate), only the modem is connected to it's DSL socket. Should the SNR and rate change if I call the line?

Edited by phonic2k (Thu 14-Jun-12 22:21:59)

Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Thu 14-Jun-12 22:40:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by phonic2k:
Can you tell me. If no phone is plugged into the socket(new infinity faceplate), only the modem is connected to it's DSL socket. Should the SNR and rate change if I call the line?
No!

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User phonic2k
(newbie) Thu 14-Jun-12 22:58:19
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Just for fun, I turned off the HG612 vdsl modem, and called the line with my mobile, waited to hear ringing, then turned on the modem.

It synced at just over 4mb higher at 64,336, however, my SNR after I hung up dropped to 4.9.

thanks for confirming this as a fault.

Do a fault this as a line fault to BT retail via the website?
or call BT support in India?

the reason i ask is that the web check report all is fine.
thanks again for all your help guys!
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Fri 15-Jun-12 01:16:26
Print Post

Before making any call for support, you really should try the test as Bald_Eagle1 has described.

Unscrew and remove the SSFP (the service specific face plate). You will now have the lower back portion of the NTE5/A exposed. At the lower right is the "test-socket". Plug a known-to-be-good "dangly" micro-filter into that socket and connect the Huawei HG612 via the micro-filter. Plug a telephone into the other socket of the micro-filter. Leave it connected like that for at least 24 hours. Monitor the line statistics (SNRM and Sync) when the telephone is (1) in use answering an incoming call (2) in use to originate a call (3) not in use.

If the issue you have previously noticed is no longer apparent, then you will have clear evidence of a faulty SSFP, which is Openreach's responsibility to replace. If the problem still persists, then it is an external fault -- somewhere between the NTE5/A and the FTTC DSLAM. Once again, it is Openreach's responsibility to fix.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to