General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User _ben
(member) Thu 14-Jun-12 21:23:33
Print Post

fibre available from exchange but not my line?

[link to this post]

My exchange supports FTTC but the availability checkers say its not available on my line. Why is this? If my local cabinet doesn't have FTTC does that mean it never will?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 14-Jun-12 21:32:42
Print Post

Re: fibre available from exchange but not my line?

[re: _ben] [link to this post]

My exchange was done in March 2011 but my cabinet didn't go live until the end of Feb 2012. I think the new FTTC cabinets are rolled out depending on how many address they serve - the more chance BT have to make money from a cabinet the sooner it should be enabled.
Standard User ccxo
(committed) Fri 15-Jun-12 00:19:14
Print Post

If you post your postcode it can be checked against the December spreadsheet, will be able to see if you are connected to a cabinet or have a exchange only line.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alex1M6
(learned) Fri 15-Jun-12 02:20:39
Print Post

My exchange went live in march but my line/cabinet didn't get enabled for FTTC until last week.

I would wait a while since its common for delays when enabling areas for FTTC.
Standard User _ben
(member) Sat 16-Jun-12 15:30:00
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

I'm a long way from the exchange so wouldn't have thought I'd be connected directly to it. Have BT published a timetable for enabling cabinets?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:43:28
Print Post

There are quite a lot of EO lines a long way from the exchange.

The only way we can help you is if you answer his question.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Jun-12 20:03:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by _ben:
I'm a long way from the exchange so wouldn't have thought I'd be connected directly to it. Have BT published a timetable for enabling cabinets?
Distance from the exchange doesn't exclude having an EO line. I'm around 2Kms from the exchange and am EO. I live on a development of 75 properties built on light industrial land in the late 80s and surrounded by other older housing. I'm guessing there was insufficient free space in a local cab hence the EO lines. I'm also aware of much longer lines than mine being EO.

Is where you live a recent development as this might explain why you have an EO line?
Standard User _ben
(member) Sat 16-Jun-12 22:02:42
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Yes, it is a new development built on light industrial land surrounded by older housing.

I've looked on the list, it says there's a 13% chance I'm connected to a cabinet which will be getting fibre and a 46% chance I'm connected to a cabinet that won't. I don't know what happened to the other 41%, perhaps that's the probability that I'm not connected to any cabinet?

Edited by _ben (Sat 16-Jun-12 22:15:45)

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Sat 16-Jun-12 23:25:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by _ben:
Yes, it is a new development built on light industrial land surrounded by older housing.

I've looked on the list, it says there's a 13% chance I'm connected to a cabinet which will be getting fibre and a 46% chance I'm connected to a cabinet that won't. I don't know what happened to the other 41%, perhaps that's the probability that I'm not connected to any cabinet?

The BT ADSL Checker "knows" which your line is connected to if you give it your telephone number.

If it does not mention FTTC then your are problably one of the unlucky ones.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User _ben
(member) Sat 16-Jun-12 23:34:13
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Oh I've already checked that, it doesn't mention FTTC. I was just wondering when I can expect the cabinet to be upgraded. It's not looking promising.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to