General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User think26872
(committed) Fri 15-Jun-12 11:27:04
Print Post

Will we ever have self install options?

[link to this post]

Does anyone know why BT can't just post the modem for Fibre and let the end user setup? Does anyone see the possibility of reducing the costs, remove the need for an engineer to visit and let the end user install fibre? Thanks

Edited by think26872 (Fri 15-Jun-12 11:34:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Jun-12 11:44:40
Print Post

Re: Will we ever have self install options?

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

Yes

The micro-filters trial is a step towards that, and may even go as far as not having to use Openreach branded modem in the end

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Fri 15-Jun-12 13:23:06
Print Post

don't see why not, mines been ready for ages, even got my hacked HG612 hung on the wall in my server room smile

All I need now is for my cabinet to go live.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 15-Jun-12 13:45:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by think26872:
Does anyone know why BT can't just post the modem for Fibre and let the end user setup? Does anyone see the possibility of reducing the costs, remove the need for an engineer to visit and let the end user install fibre? Thanks

It;s the same when ADSL went live, I had a nice man from BT come alone and do the install and had a filtered face plate done as there was no micro filters.

Although as I was on a trial I had a new line ran from my pole to the house as part of the install.
Standard User think26872
(committed) Sat 16-Jun-12 10:21:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. Is there a timescale in place for the current trial taking place? Are we looking at self installs without an engineer in a month, 3 months, next year? TIA
Standard User Ixel
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 10:31:05
Print Post

I don't think it's known yet, but at a guess I'd assume within the next 6 months. The microfilters that are compatible with VDSL2 already exist, though they don't state compatibility. I've tried two different spare microfilters I had with ADSL on VDSL2 (in an attempt to locate my fault, which I still believe was mostly the master socket filter installed by Openreach) and they appear to both work fine. My ADSLNation XTE-2005 faceplate (which has currently replaced the Openreach VDSL one here) is also working fine.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 13:21:15
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Not surprising the filters work. All they do is stop anything except audible frequencies going to and from the phone side.

BT engineers have also posted on here that the new VDSL faceplate is technically no different from the old BT ADSL one. Just cheaper to make.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sat 16-Jun-12 14:20:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by think26872:
Thanks. Is there a timescale in place for the current trial taking place? Are we looking at self installs without an engineer in a month, 3 months, next year? TIA

There is some detail here:-

FTTC Self Install
Standard User gazter
(regular) Sat 16-Jun-12 16:14:23
Print Post

And we can look forward to hundreds of thousands of households wondering why their new superfast broadband isnt much quicker than their old one, and not realising that their [censored] internal wiring is the source of the slowness.

My house when it was newly built had such poor internal wiring that the broadband speed went from 300kb to 2800kb just by disconnecting the extension.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:41:57
Print Post

[re: gazter] [link to this post]

Hopefully it'll bring the monthly cost down too.

Hopefully rhe same will be true for FTTP although that will always be an engineer install because of what is requred but maybe this will be reflected in the installation charge?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to