General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User twbbplease
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 07:30:29
Print Post

"Directly connected to exchange. FTTC is not supported."

[link to this post]

I am frustrated at the lack of fibre at my house when my exchange is enabled and after a search about I discovered this forum.

After lots of reading I checked my postcode in the FTTC Checker.

http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=TN11JE

It says that I am "Directly connected to exchange. FTTC is not supported."

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means? Also what it means to the future of my connection and prospective products/speeds?

Thanks muchly smile
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Jun-12 08:18:32
Print Post

Re: "Directly connected to exchange. FTTC is not supported."

[re: twbbplease] [link to this post]

It means that your phone line goes directly to the exchange and not to a street cabinet first as most do. As it's currently only cabinets which are being hooked up to fibre you won't be able to get FTTC. I believe there are some plans to eventually sort this out but I don't knoe what they are. I suspect BT don't know yet either so don't hold your breath.

sorry.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 08:38:56
Print Post

There are a few current problems here.

One is fairly obvious - FTTC means "Fibre to the Cabinet" and you are not connected to a cabinet.

The rest are to do with why they haven't found a way round that yet.

Starting with the first problem, no cabinet. The fibre service is added onto your telephone line in that and carried over the existing copper from there to your house. See here for a fuller explanation.

They can't add the fibre service to the DSLAM which supplies you in the exchange. Either it doesn't have the necessary connectivity, (the ones in the FTTC cabinets are designed specifically for the task), or it is simply to prevent the bad effects the service would have on other services from that exchange. Technical reasons in other words, that I don't know anything about. OfCom has issued regulations about this.

There is also the point that many exchanges that are "FTTC-enabled" don't actually supply the fibre connection. They continue to supply the phone service, but the fibre one is supplied from a different exchange and gets onto your line as already explained.

Apparently Openreach are looking into this issue for the longer term, but the push and money is going into the easier mainstream rollout at the moment, so as to meet/exceed the coverage targets. Two solutions that seem to be around are to supply FTTP instead, or to install fibre and phone cabinets to replace the current exchange supply to people such as yourself.

Another issue is the question of why you are EO. If it is because you are close to the exchange then the solution is likely to be different from that if you are on a new build estate at a considerable distance from the exchange, where it was cheaper/easier for Openreach to supply direct than to install new phone cabinets when you got a phone service in the first place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User twbbplease
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 09:18:48
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot. Not the news I wanted but helps smile
Standard User twbbplease
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 09:20:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you kindly for the detailed reply too. Very informative.

I am about 1/2 a mile from the exchange, and am due to move soon so you can bet one of the first things I will check is that link I found to see if I am connected to a fibred cabinet.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer. Much appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 09:47:10
Print Post

That checker you used is based on December 2011 data, which is the latest publicly available. (Leaked). The EO status won't have changed in the April 2012 one, but the status of your new location might.

The best thing to check is the existing phone number of the new place, if you can find that before it gets disconnected, and see what this checker says about it. If you can't get the phone number, try the full address.

Most ISPs have the April 2012 data so their checkers should be OK.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User acting_funny
(member) Sat 16-Jun-12 11:44:28
Print Post

last I heard BT were supposed to be trialing methods for EO lines in cornwall this year. with the FTTP on demand thing announced I'm guessing those trials (VDSL/WiFi?) are up in the air currently.
Standard User GeorgeLloyd
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Jun-12 12:06:23
Print Post

I presume there must be access points so why cant the FFC cabs be connected to those. I'm in the same situation. There are some large access point just a few hundred yards from where I live, surely it's not beyond BT ability to connect to those Via a FCC cab.

George
plusnet smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 12:27:53
Print Post

[re: GeorgeLloyd] [link to this post]

What do you mean by "access point". Are you sure that whatever they are they are BT?

Have you read the link I gave explaining what the linkages are to supply FTTC to you? Your last question implies you haven't.

Standard User GeorgeLloyd
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Jun-12 12:56:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What do you mean by "access point". Are you sure that whatever they are they are BT?

One big mail man hole at the edge of the estate where all cables from smaller manholes at street level terminate. I suppose you could call it an underground cabinet and yes it's BT.

George
plusnet smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to