General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PE06MCG
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:15:04
Print Post

Cannot find my Telecom Box

[link to this post]

I live in Denby Dale, West Yorkshire and my Local Exchange is Skelmanthorpe which went to 'Accepting Orders' about a week ago.
I have been informed my phone is connected to Exchange via PCP17.

The problem is the nearest Boxes to me are PCP2 (about 300 metres) and PCP11 (about 200 metres) both of which are 'humming' and therefore presumably live whereas PCP17 is nowhere to be seen.

There is a smaller plastic BT Box about 100 metres from me but it has no markings of any sort to identify it.
Could this be my PCP17 or is this a sub of the other larger metal ones that are numbered?

Ringing BT they tell me my PCP17 should be done but have no date for it but expect within next 2 weeks. I am concerned that the roadworks (done by Morrisons) on behalf of OpenReach have now gone and activity in our area has ceased.

How can I find the geographical position of my Box and secondly does anyone know if this Box is genuinely due for FTTC conversion.
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:32:17
Print Post

Re: Cannot find my Telecom Box

[re: PE06MCG] [link to this post]

Hmm . . . I've looked in the December 2011 document and this is what I've found --
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88QU,{MYSKE}{P17},0,93%,,,,
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88QX,{MYSKE}{P17},0,16%,,,,
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88QZ,{MYSKE}{P17},0,100%,,,,
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88RA,{MYSKE}{P17},0,57%,,,,
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88RH,{MYSKE}{P17},0,100%,,,,
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88SL,{MYSKE}{P17},0,5%,,,,
The PCP designated {MYSKE}{P17} was not, then, listed to be enabled for FTTC service.

Is your postcode one of HD8 8QU, HD8 8QX, HD8 8QZ, HD8 8RA, HD8 8RH or HD8 8SL?

If yes, have you entered your telephone number into the BT Wholesale Broadband Checker? What does it tell you?

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:39:34
Print Post

Overlapping post, in effect saying the same as burakkucat.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Jun-12 17:41:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User PE06MCG
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:58:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for referal RobertoS .
Agree duplication of P17 query but I still would like to know if it is possible to find it (geographically that is).
As expert on 'Boxes' perhaps remainder of my original post is also within your expertise?
Standard User PE06MCG
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 18:03:42
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I have a post code listed as HD8 8QZ and it tells me ADSL only on the link you gave me
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Sat 16-Jun-12 19:02:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by PE06MCG:
I have a post code listed as HD8 8QZ and it tells me ADSL only on the link you gave me
It does seem that you are not going to be able to receive a FTTC service from the current "round" of updates.
MYSKE,SKELMANTHORPE,HD88QZ,{MYSKE}{P17},0,100%,,,,
Looking at the entry for your postcode, above, we see that all (100%) of the lines (originating from addresses with that postcode area) are connected via P17.

There are three ways to find it:

(1) Plot each of those six postcode areas onto a map and then find the midpoint that would be equidistant to them all. Concentrate a physical search -- walking the streets -- upon that area.

(2) Starting with your home as the central point, perform an ever increasing outward spiral search of the locality, marking off each road/street as it is examined.

(3) Ask an Openreach engineer.

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jun-12 19:34:26
Print Post

Again as burakkucat says.

To help, I have various BT cabinet pics on this page, so have a look at that so you know what you are looking for. (There are other similar cabs that I never got round to loading as the layout got tricky). The important thing is to ignore Virgin Media ones, and anything that isn't a phone PCP.

Some people have found theirs the "wrong" side of a wall or fence. It could be yours is in an awkward place for installing an FTTC cab within 50 metres.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User PE06MCG
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 19:56:27
Print Post

Many thanks for reply.

As I suspected, you seem to confirm I am not likely to be connected.
You mention 'this round'. What does this mean?
Do Openreach come back to 'fill in' or do we have to wait a few years for next phase?

Incidentally, have found a website that gives a great map view of postcodes:

http://www.pauldjohnson.co.uk/content/uk-postcode-ge...

Using this I have virtually surrounded my house and it does seem the small plastic unnamed / unnumbered plastic BT Box I originally mentioned is the one.
Back of beyond and probably forgotten.
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Sat 16-Jun-12 20:22:30
Print Post

You missed a couple of methods I've used, plot the postcodes and the exchange. You can then work out the most logical route for the line to take, and the cabinet is usually located somewhere near where the line enters the area covered by the postcodes.

The other method that can work is to enter the postcodes covered into the BT Infinity checker, click the Can I get Infinity button and select I'm not with BT now enter 999 as the house number, and the postcode and click check now. You want a house number that won't be found as this will lead to another search box, now enter just the postcode and click search, if you try it with CT103AF you can see both the PCP and the DSlam.

This does not always work, and I have found PCP's listed under the wrong postcode, but it works 90% of the time.

There's acabinet here, but it looks like it may be 9, and it comes up with DSlam using HD8 8SD

There's one here, but no number - I think this may be yours.

Standard User PE06MCG
(newbie) Sat 16-Jun-12 20:38:24
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Sorry, was I reinventing the wheel?

Many thanks for extra info.

Your suspicion regarding my plastic BT box is spot on.
That indeed is the one I think is P17 however no number so I was looking at possible local alternatives for elimination purposes.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to