General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TTEnt
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:03:32
Print Post

FTTC not worth having. (estimate of 0.1 Mbps)

[link to this post]

As a Computer engineer, was interested to see what speeds certain addresses might get with FTTC, when enabled on my Exchange, due 30-Sep-12. Cabinets being installed at the moment.
Did a check on an address that i know struggles to get a decent broadband speed. this is what the checker returned.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 750Kbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of .1 Mbps and upstream line speed of .1 Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Does this mean that the Checker is seriously flawed, although other addresses for same cabinet seem to give speed i might expect, or would they have to wait for FTTP, for proper Speeds. Also another address on same Postcode doesn't even mention Fibre Speeds at all, even though 100% of that postcode on same cabinet.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:11:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC not worth having. (estimate of 0.1 Mbps)

[re: TTEnt] [link to this post]

Distance from the CAB is key on FTTC.

How far do you think this property is from its street cab? Since VDSL2 degrades tremendously with distance their is a maximum distance for the cab at which it is usable.

In a case like this ADSL2+ from the CAB would probably be ideal but this option isnt provided.

If a property is a long, long way from the CAN which is enabled for FTTC I believe the checker will not show this as an option.

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 19-Jun-12 12:50:57
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

VDSL2 deteriorates quickly from a theoretical maximum of 250 Mbit/s at source to 100 Mbit/s at 0.5 km (1,600 ft) and 50 Mbit/s at 1 km (3,300 ft), but degrades at a much slower rate from there, and still outperforms VDSL. Starting from 1.6 km (1 mi) its performance is equal to ADSL2+.

I am very surprised that the checker would estimate a FTTC speed lower than ADSL2+. Given the line-length from premises to DSLAM must be shorter, event the worse case should see a modest improvement in data rate.

-==-
DougM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TTEnt
(newbie) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:04:56
Print Post

According to Google Maps, Distance by road is approx 1.5 miles, which is a fairly straight line route, but which way the phone lines go, i'm not sure.
See link to see road route. and area (probably classed as semi-rural).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Ogwell+Rd&daddr=...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:14:38
Print Post

[re: TTEnt] [link to this post]

1.5 miles by road, so lets say 2 miles or 3 km.

VDSL2 is going to pretty much useless at that distance. Fibre on demand is best bet, though would be a high-end install due to distance from the cabinet.

Destination looks to be a business site, so cost of fibre on demand might be seen as reasonable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:15:06
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

At around 2Km or so the speed from VDSL2 and ADSL2+ become very similar so there is little advantage in the expense of FTTC.

Part of this is to keep the average speed of the BT Retail Infinity up (minimum speed of 15Mb/s?) and BT Retail sell BB with fibre or something similar.

I suppose except in most circumstances the speed of FTTC (VDSL2 from the CAB) should always be greater than ADSL from the exchange but on very long lines would VDSL2 not suffer more from interference than ADSL / ADSL2 and the FTTC CAB will fall back to ADSL / ADSL2 which is what a connection from the exchange would do?

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:18:36
Print Post

The sample of actual very long cabinet to home sides so far suggests that with the way the ANFP works, that VDSL2 on long lines 2km+ is pretty much a waste of time. Should only be a very small number of properties.

The theory is VDSL2+ degrades to ADSL2+ performance levels at distance, but practice suggests this is not happening.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ben_g_uk
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 12:51:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi - I'm new to this! But have a related issue - hope you can help...

We are in a semi-rural location and have had very poor ADSL speeds (below 1.5Mbps) . We are a hotel so need to be able to offer our guests something better! As such I ordered a fibre product from ADSL24 and Openreach are due to come to install this coming Monday (9th July)

HOWEVER... according to various line checkers I can only get 3.7-3.7Mbps on FTTC, ADSL24 say that if the engineer cannot get a speed above the threshold he/she wont connect the line. I am desperate for any improvement (I would happily pay fibre prices for 3.6!)

Do these line checkers give realistic speeds? Does anyone know what the threshold is or whether I'm likely to get a better speed using FTTC than I currently do with ADSL? Do you think the engineer will even connect us? Is there anything I can do to improve my prospects?

Thanks in advance...

PS I think I have located my cabinet and, by road, it is 1.3km from us See this map
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jul-12 12:58:54
Print Post

[re: ben_g_uk] [link to this post]

The theory says 1.3km should be around 17 to 15 Mbps.

One only knows how accurate the estimate is once you enable the service, so many variables are involved. That it would require someone to visit all 29 million telephone lines in the UK every few months to test each on with the various versions of broadband to give an accurate checker.

Standard User ben_g_uk
(newbie) Thu 05-Jul-12 13:16:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the superfast reply!

I have been doing a little bit or research on this and had an idea - I would be grateful for your thoughts on it...

The NTE point is in the middle of the property approx 30m from the telegraph pole.

The line goes through the property and runs alongside power lines servicing some heavy equipment - I have been monitoring the noise ratio and there are fluctuations when various power circuits are in use.

The office with our router in it is right next to the pole, Do you think repositioning the NTE in the office with a short dropwire straight from the pole to the NTE would improve the speed? If so do you think I have any chance of convincing the openreach engineer to do this on Monday

Cheers
Ben
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to