General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jun-12 12:53:27
Print Post

Switching to FTTC, downtime expected?

[link to this post]

I'm going to move from Bethere ADSL to BT Infinity FTTC, will there be a period where I do not have internet access or will the switch be seamless? If there will be downtime, how long should I expect it to take?

Thanks.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 13:02:36
Print Post

Re: Switching to FTTC, downtime expected?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

There is downtime when the OR engineer visits your premises to instal the OR modem, visits the FTTC CAB to link the data from your line to the DSLAM and tests it.

An hour os so?

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload ON THE LINE THAT SKY COULD ONLY PROVIDE 15,255 DOWN AND 800 UP ON!!!,
Moved house, now BE Unlimited 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
FTTC Cab installation commenced 12th April - expect full 80 / 20 - bye bye BE, hello BT Infinity soon!
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Tue 19-Jun-12 14:28:04
Print Post

Generally very little downtime - somewhere between a few minutes and an hour-or-so, unless there are specific problems with your install or your ISP stuffs up somehow.

I switched from an LLU ISP (Be) to FTTC with A&A. The whole thing took less than an hour and that includes the installer nailing the VDSL modem to the wall and fixing up the cable to my master socket. the connection via Be worked fine until the switch-over, the connection via A&A worked fine immediately after.

If you are planning to need your connection for essential stuff such as you use it for business purposes: be paranoid and assume it could be out for the whole of the install day, and have alternate connectivity ready for those essentials.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current Line: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via 80/20 FTTC, getting close to the full rate both ways, joined July 2011, upgraded from 40/10 to 80/20 May 2012.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Edited by dspillett (Tue 19-Jun-12 14:31:54)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jwh
(regular) Tue 19-Jun-12 14:31:16
Print Post

I had Merula/Be and changed to Merula/FTTC. OR Eng rang on the due morning and asked if he could go ahead and change things over in the cabinet - said it would take 20 mins and he would then come round. I said OK, ADSL2+ went off and 30 mins later he arrived. It took ~ 10 mins to change the MS over and connect up the modem. Meanwhile I changed the settings in my Draytek 2820Vn and all worked immediately. So total time offline < <1 hour. OR bloke, [ex military BTW], was excellent, checked all house phones worked, VDSL2 OK and my setup was OK. Also ran the speed tests.

Very pleased!

John
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jun-12 14:56:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm going to move from Bethere ADSL to BT Infinity FTTC, will there be a period where I do not have internet access or will the switch be seamless? If there will be downtime, how long should I expect it to take?
If all goes well it should be no more than half an hour.

I was down for an hour but that was because the engineer got confused by my wiring and didn't believe me when I explained it to him. Typical of an engineer really (I've been guilty of the same). I told him that my master socket had been moved to the study where he was fitting the faceplate but he insisted on investigating the mess of wiring coming into the house and ended up being confused. Eventually he went back to the cabinet and came back muttering something about the port not being activated.

But yeah - shouldn't take very long really.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User zag164
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-12 18:58:43
Print Post

We were the first installation on the cabinet - the OR engineer told me because of that he had to run some additional tests. But all in all was still less than an hour.
Standard User bsdnazz
(newbie) Wed 20-Jun-12 20:29:56
Print Post

[re: zag164] [link to this post]

We were done in less than an hour. We were also the first connection on our cab.
  Print Thread

Jump to