General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jun-12 23:27:57
Print Post

Exchange taking orders but I can't get it

[link to this post]

I've checked the Lowestoft exchange which should now be taking orders for FTTC, called isp and they've informed me they've nothing on the database to say I should be able to get it nor is there a live date. I was told it could take 3, 6, 9 months to get it.

When FTTC is enabled at an exchange is it then gradually introduced to the various cabinets from it? The two closest cabinets to me have been enabled, new style cabs where you can see they've run the electric to them. I have also checked BT utility plans and I'm routed to one approx 300m down the road.

Any info would be helpful.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Xilo <--- The dog's danglies!
3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Thu 21-Jun-12 03:05:57
Print Post

Re: Exchange taking orders but I can't get it

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by benbird7:
I've checked the Lowestoft exchange which should now be taking orders for FTTC, called isp and they've informed me they've nothing on the database to say I should be able to get it nor is there a live date. I was told it could take 3, 6, 9 months to get it.

When FTTC is enabled at an exchange is it then gradually introduced to the various cabinets from it? The two closest cabinets to me have been enabled, new style cabs where you can see they've run the electric to them. I have also checked BT utility plans and I'm routed to one approx 300m down the road.

Any info would be helpful.

I'm in the same boat chap, from what I can tell, nobody in Lowestoft can order at the moment, despite having the exchange enabled and cabs installed..

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a glitch in the system given that nothing I've checked has had any sort of due date - Zen informed me that this usually means that they wouldn't expect anything in the next 12 months, which seems crazy.

I think it might be worth an email to the BT CEO's office to see if we can get any information out of them..
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jun-12 07:20:43
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

Check MrS's site to see what that says - the postcode/cab data is based on the old Openreach Dec 2011 spreadsheet but it should give some idea of what phase your cabinet was planned for (mine is 8a and just going live although some earlier ones are still delayed). If there is a powered up FTTC cabinet next to yours and you still can't order it could be a data error - use the BT retail postcode check to see if other addresses served by that cabinet can order. I had to contact the CEO office to get the data fixed when addresses served by just my pole couldn't order but others could.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Jun-12 07:29:50
Print Post

[re: Stoo] [link to this post]

Is the BT Wholesale checker giving a FTTC speed estimate for the telephone number?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jun-12 09:06:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No it just states:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Additionally, your line may be able to support an estimated ADSL speed between 1 to 2 Mbps using Broadband Enabling Technology. A solution created specifically for communities who have very long telephone lines. If you decide to place an order, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

If I go on the infinity Website it shows Lowestoft as taking orders.

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jun-12 09:20:57
Print Post

[re: Stoo] [link to this post]

I did speak with a couple of openreach engineers about a week ago, working on the cab near the fighting cocks in kirkley. They told me that they were working between here and Yarmouth at present installing the new equipment, the go live for Yarmouth is the 30th June 2012. He said he didn't have a go live for Lowestoft, but would suggest it would be a similar time.

It was when I checked infinity and see that Lowestoft was already taking orders that suggested it might have already gone live, to then be told by your ISP there's nothing on their system to state anything would be happening in the near future was a little disappointing to say the least.

I used to years ago (2006) get up to 8mb when I lived near the exchange (before adsl2+ brought it to up to 24mb) Since then I've been between 2.5-3mb which in fairness is not too bad considering the distance, but the thought of having up to 80 (more like 40-50) and 20 (more like 10-15) up excites me a little too much!

When I install a new game for steam, it'd download in minutes rather than leaving it running for hours whilst I'm at work!

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(member) Thu 21-Jun-12 10:51:04
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
use the BT retail postcode check to see if other addresses served by that cabinet can order.

You need to use the address checker, ie house number and postcode, postcode alone will not give fttc results.

You should also make sure that the postcode used for the check has 100% lines served by the cabinet your checking, otherwise the address used may be served by another cabinet .

Standard User Stoo
(regular) Sat 23-Jun-12 05:20:08
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
use the BT retail postcode check to see if other addresses served by that cabinet can order.

You need to use the address checker, ie house number and postcode, postcode alone will not give fttc results.

You should also make sure that the postcode used for the check has 100% lines served by the cabinet your checking, otherwise the address used may be served by another cabinet .

I've done that (100% of the addresses in my road are covered by the fttc cab) and get the same results as mine, I've also tried other streets where new DSLAM cabinets have been installed and get the same results, nothing in the town is returning any information about FTTC... Like Ben mentioned, no ISP has any information about ordering, other than the Openreach site which says everything is good to go.

I'm leaning towards a data error in the database given that we've already seen it several times before on this forum, although this seems to be on a much larger scale.
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Sat 23-Jun-12 05:20:08
Print Post

Re: Exchange taking orders but I can't get it *DELETED*

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Stoo
Standard User Wurzel
(regular) Sat 23-Jun-12 17:33:45
Print Post

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Check MrS's site to see what that says - the postcode/cab data is based on the old Openreach Dec 2011 spreadsheet but it should give some idea of what phase your cabinet was planned for (mine is 8a and just going live although some earlier ones are still delayed). If there is a powered up FTTC cabinet next to yours and you still can't order it could be a data error - use the BT retail postcode check to see if other addresses served by that cabinet can order. I had to contact the CEO office to get the data fixed when addresses served by just my pole couldn't order but others could.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

I've got a feeling i'm heading for one of those 'database error' moments. I'm currently with Sky so need to check using postcode etc. When i use the BT Infinity checker it resolves my address but then comes back with an error stating it doesnt recognise my details and to use my postcode..what i've just done!

If I do the same check using the postcode and a house number from adjacent streets it states Infinity is not yet available but presents ADSL Options. This worries me... the cabinet i connect to (according to coolwebbhome) has been updated to fibre enabled and our go live date is 30 June.. last thing I want after being stuck between 1 & 2Mb is to endure delay due to an admin error!

Just in case this does go pear shaped, who did you contact to resolve and by what medium - can they be telephone or is it email only? I want to be ready to take action..Thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to