General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jun-12 10:30:45
Print Post

Connection gone to pot

[link to this post]

I hope this isn't just the end of the honeymoon but my IDNet FTTC connection isn't doing very well any longer. For the past two evenings (Tuesday/Wednesday) the download has been variable and struggled to get above 30Mb/s most of the time. Previously it would reliably hit at least 55Mb/s and was often around 60Mb/s. Upload is unchanged.

I eventually got the BT Speedtester to give me a result (on the sixth attempt, [censored]). It says my profile is 76.7Mb/s so I guess I'm looking at congestion somewhere.

Rather curiously the latency reported by Speedtest.net to my usual server is only 15ms. It used to be 35ms.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 10:49:22
Print Post

Re: Connection gone to pot

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I'm seeing something similar, my ping has dropped from 22-23mS to 11mS, though the drop in speed (using speedtest.net and tbb) is only a couple of Mbps from it's usual 65-66.

The graph is showing quite a bit more congestion than before... I can't run a BT test to get my profile, it doesn't seem to be compatible with Apple's latest Java update frown

It looks like the routing has changed somewhere.

I'm using a London server (from South Oxon), how about you?

eta- there's been no change in ping on my BQMs, they're still around 12mS.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 21-Jun-12 11:01:41)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jun-12 11:38:11
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I'm using a London server (from South Oxon), how about you?
Yeah I'm using Namesco which is a London server. I'm in South Northants so not a million miles from you albeit probably a different node. I think we ultimately hang off Birmingham.

I'm seeing the same poor results from everything. TBB shows about 20Mb/s, that VisualWare test does (interestingly that test also shows 'out of 76Mb/s' though I don't know where it gets that from). When the recent Win8 release candidate was released I downloaded both ISOs and got 6.8MB/s. I tried again last night and it was only 3MB/s. Noticeable variable as well.

Up till now my speedtest.net results have jumped straight up to 50Mb/s then in the last few seconds moved higher to 55Mb/s or 60Mb/s. Since Tuesday they've gone straight to about 20Mb/s then jumped all over the shop.

Before:
http://speedtest.net/result/2011690513.png

After:
http://speedtest.net/result/2020055273.png

In fact it seems that the upload is a bit affected as well - I hadn't noticed that.

Edit:I've raised it with IDNet support but I don't know if/when they'll get back to me or what their response will be. My first 'complaint' so it'll be interesting to know how they deal with it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 21-Jun-12 11:43:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Thu 21-Jun-12 11:49:15
Print Post

my infinity connection is being odd as well, speed all over the place
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 12:05:00
Print Post

I tried a few runs using the VisualWare test, like you it's giving pretty much the same results as the others. Generally around ~61Mbps out of ~64Mbps with both London and Maidenhead servers.

That "out of" figure is intriguing... it can't be BT's IP profile for a variety of reasons, mainly because it varies between tests!

The Mac's "network activity monitor" shows a peak at the start of the transfer, then it drops to a more stable level. I wondered if the "out of" could be the height of that peak and the final result is the average, but VisualWare's own graphs don't show the peaking effect so I'm not sure...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 12:10:40
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobbyboyuk:
my infinity connection is being odd as well, speed all over the place
So it's not just IDNet... I wonder if there could be any connection with this, ie BT are messing about with the network for their multicasting service?

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 21-Jun-12 12:36:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
My first 'complaint' so it'll be interesting to know how they deal with it.
I've always found them to be pretty good, but in view of bobbyboyuk's comment I've got a nasty feeling that this one may be outside their control.

I've been wondering why the effect on my line has only been slight, but then I remembered- my local MP is Ed Vaizey tongue

Bill
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Thu 21-Jun-12 13:10:26
Print Post

well my connection been on and off a few times , lights on modem ok etc.

bt twitter posted this about 1 hr ago:

We are aware that some BT residential and business customers are having problems accessing the internet. Sorry, we’re working to fix quickly
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Thu 21-Jun-12 13:11:36
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

And this

Broadband

Thu 21/06/2012 at 09:23 Ongoing Problem with certain webpages
Thu 21/06/2012 at 10:31 Ongoing Broadband problem in the Sheffeild area
Thu 21/06/2012 at 12:00 Ongoing Broadband problem affecting London and surronding area's

Edited by bobbyboyuk (Thu 21-Jun-12 13:12:05)

Standard User DLS
(regular) Thu 21-Jun-12 16:58:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
So it's not just IDNet... I wonder if there could be any connection with this, ie BT are messing about with the network for their multicasting service?

Same here on the Infinity business service, although it seems to be settling down. Routing seems to have changed following a reconnection early yesterday morning and latencies have dropped: the first external router from 11.5 ms to 9.1 ms, and my fastest BBC site (212.58.244.59) from ~19 ms to 14.4 ms.

My dynamic IP address is now geolocated in Chesterfield (previously London) but my static IP addresses are still thought to be in Kent. I'm actually in north-east Wales.

BTW, the BT speed tester lite link (Flash) for >24 Mbit/s works happily on the Mac, using the direct link:
http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com/beta/speedtest-re...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to